Have you heard the story where a chocolate graham cracker crust, salted caramel, hazelnuts, and a 60% dark chocolate walk into a tart?
Hazelnut arrives early, because he’s so excited to have his friends back together.
Salted caramel and chocolate come together, because everyone knows they’re in love with each other and if they just came out with it it would be so much less awkward instead of them not making eye contact in public. I mean come on everyone knows, guys.
Oh and chocolate graham is obviously the designated driver, because he’s used to being the responsible one.
And it’s a great night full of fun, laughs, and hugs with old friends.
I write this as I snack on yet another one of these Hazelnut Salted Caramel and Chocolate Tarts. Or tartlettes, I should say. I’m so glad these old friends got together, because my mouth and belly are just reaping the benefits.
A crunchy graham cracker crust. Homemade salted caramel cradling toasted hazelnuts. And a luxurious chocolate ganache that seals it all together. Topped with more nuts and giant flaked sea salt.
I mean, what’s not to love?!
Of course, with so few ingredients, quality is key with these babies. A good dark chocolate is a total must.
I used Ghirardelli’s 60% Cocoa Baking Bars in these tarts, which is the perfect balance to the sweeter caramel it sits over. It melts wonderfully, and creates a soft but held-together ganache that you just need for this tart, otherwise it would drip everywhere.
I love the idea of making these tarts for Thanksgiving. Everyone gets their own personal tart! Plus, mini-fying anything just makes it cuter, amiright?
Happy day, friends! Enjoy!
for the crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
for the filling
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
for the ganache
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz Ghirardelli’s 60% Cocoa Baking Bars, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 6 mini tart shells on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine crust ingredients. Mix thoroughly to combine, then press mixture into tart shells (I used a half cup measurer to make a perfect indentation for my crusts!).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- To make the salted caramel, place a small saucepan over low heat. Add in sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts completely, about 8-10 minutes.
- As soon as your sugar is fully melted, remove from heat and add in butter. Whisk carefully until fully incorporated, then add in salt and 3 tablespoons heavy cream. Allow to cool until it’s warm but not hot.
- Spoon caramel into the tarts until they’re just shy of full. Sprinkle in all but 2 tablespoons of the hazelnuts. Place in freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- Chop those remaining 2 tablespoons of nuts so they’re finely chopped. Set aside.
- To make the ganache, heat 1/3 cup heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat until scalding. Remove from heat, add in dark chocolate. and let sit for 5 minutes. After, whisk to combine. Mixture should be totally smooth and melted at this point.
- Remove tarts from freezer and spoon ganache on top. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts and finish with flakey sea salt!
This post is sponsored by Ghirardelli. All text and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands who help make Broma possible!