Surprise! Bet you thought apple recipes were over, but we bought wayyyyy too many honey crisps, so we’re still on an apple kick around here. Specifically a Healthy Apple Crumb Bar kick.
I don’t see it ending any time soon.
What ingredients do you need for healthy apple crumb bars?
These bars are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and packed full of cinnamon Fall flavor. To make them you’ll need:
- natural almond butter
- maple syrup
- old fashioned oats
- almond flour
I know it doesn’t sound like much, but those 8 ingredients come together to form a damn good crumb bar. They’re crunchy, yet gooey, perfectly spiced, and the perfect ratio of apple to crumb.
How to make homemade oat flour:
With a high powered blender or food processor and some regular old oats, you too can have oat flour! Simply blend your oats until they are very finely ground and have a flour consistency. And there you have it: oat flour.
You can also buy oat flour, but it’s super cheap and easy to make it at home, so that’s what we usually do!
How to make healthy apple crumb bars:
My favorite part about these bars is how incredibly easy they are to make. Dangerously easy really. The dough used for the crust and crumble topping comes together quickly in one bowl, and the apple filling is simply chopped apples tossed with some spices. Bake that at 350 until golden brown et voila: apple crumb bars!
Listen, it’s the weekend (practically). It is prime apple picking season, and these apple crumble bars are too good and too easy not to make.
Go get yourself some apples, a cute apple picking instagram, and then whip up this guilt free treat with the fruits of your labor. Enjoy!! Print
These guilt free apple crumble bars are gluten free, refined sugar free, and our new favorite fall dessert.
For the crust and crumble
- 1 cup natural almond butter
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
for the apple filling
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Add in the oats, oat flour, almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix until everything comes together. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- While the batter sits, prepare the apple filling. In a large bowl combine the chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup and toss together until the apples are evenly coated.
- Place half of the cookie crust in prepared pan, spreading the dough into an even layer all the way to the edge. Put the apple filling over the bottom layer and crumble the remaining half of the dough over the apple filling.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!