I have a total crush on zucchini. When I was growing up, one of my mom’s go-to side dishes was fried zucchini. All it is is zucchini slices dipped in salted flour and fried on a cast iron pan. And holy moly. It’s seriously the best vegetable I’ve ever had. Zucchini breads were also always a thing in our house. And while my mom made the moistest zucchini bread with raisins and a hint of nutmeg, this mini chocolate zucchini breads are a pretty close second.
While I don’t have a childhood story for chocolate zucchini bread, per se, I can say that I love it just as much as those other zucchini dishes. Because I love zucchini, plain and simple. I opted to make these babies into mini loaves, as they make for great presents for friends, or for a perfectly handheld personal loaf. Or both.
The cacao nibs add a regal touch. They’re made from dried, roasted cacao bean without any added sugar. I love their crunch, and they make the loaves look preeeetty fancy.
Tips on how to make zucchini bread:
These mini chocolate zucchini breads are crazy easy to make. Just keep these few things in mind when you whip up a batch of these:
Line the pans with parchment paper — Lining the mini loaf pans with parchment paper is a must, at least if you want to be able to get the loaves out of the pans! If you don’t have parchment paper, make sure to liberally grease the loaf pans so it’s easy to slide the chocolate zucchini bread out.
Use a regular loaf pan, if needed — If you don’t have mini loaf pans, you can totally make this in a regular bread pan. I would bake it for 50 minutes, then stick a knife in to check for doneness. If the knife comes out clean, take it out of the oven. If it doesn’t, give it another 5-10 minutes!
Don’t pat the zucchini dry — Some grated zucchini recipes ask you to pat the zucchini between paper towels to remove the excess moisture. Uh uh, you want all that moisture in your chocolate zucchini bread to make it the best ever.
Cool the loaves slightly before topping with ganache — It’s okay to spread the ganache onto the mini zucchini bread loaves while they’re still warm, but you don’t want to do it while they’re piping hot. The ganache should spread a bit on top of the loaves, plus warm zucchini bread is the BEST.
Happy Monday, y’all!Print
Mini Chocolate Zucchini Breads
For the bread
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the chocolate ganache
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8 mini loaf pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, grated zucchini, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla. After mixing, stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour batter evenly into mini loaf pans. Bake for 20 minutes, then allow to cool slightly before topping with ganache.
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds, then stir. It should become fully melted and have a slightly runny texture. Depending on your microwave, heat for an additional 15 seconds. Drizzle over loaves, then top with cacao nibs.