Time to celebrate with patriotic banana cream pie, perfect for the 4th and topped with fresh fruit and homemade whipped cream. YUM.Print
Patriotic banana cream pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: american
for the pie
- 1 pre-made graham cracker crust (I used Keebler)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup sugar-divided
- 4–5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 bananas
for the topping:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 6–8 oz raspberries
- 3–4 oz blackberries
- In a medium sized, heavy saucepan, combine the milk and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Bring milk in the pan to scalding. Do not boil.
- Meanwhile, in another medium sized bowl, put the eggs and egg yolk, the other 1/3 cup of sugar, the vanilla bean paste, the salt, and the cornstarch. Whisk together well and set aside.
- To ‘temper’ the egg mixture, slowly add small amounts of the hot milk mixture to the bowl of eggs while whisking vigorously. When you have added at least half of the hot milk, pour the egg mixture into the remaining milk in the saucepan. Cook until thickened, making sure you stir continually. Cook at least 1 minute after the mixture begins to thicken.
- Take off the heat and stir in the butter, then run the pastry cream through a strainer to remove any lumps, or bits of cooked egg.
- Put pastry cream into a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic is touching the surface of the pastry cream. Tis will keep a ‘skin’ from forming on the cream. Set in fridge to cool for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the pastry cream is cool, make the whipped cream. Whip the whipping cream and the sugar until the desired consistency, adding the vanilla bean past at the end. Set aside.
- Spoon half of the the cooled pastry cream into the baked and cooled pie crust. Then layer the sliced bananas over the pastry cream. Spoon the remaining half of the pastry cream over the bananas. Smooth the top, forming a slight mounded shape.
- Starting in the upper left-hand quarter, place blackberries to form the ‘field’ of the flag. Then, beginning at the top, start placing the raspberries in a row, then alternating with a squiggly row of sweetened, whipped cream, using a pastry bag and a star tip.Then alternate down with the berries and cream until the pie is covered.
Recipe from Secret Life of a Chef’s Wife
Keywords: easy, 4th of july, patriotic, festive, party