Marshmallows + peanuts + brownies…what’s not to like? These decadent rocky road brownies are the perfect salty sweet treat!
Rocky Road Brownies
Boy do we have something special for you today. Rocky Road Brownies, my friends, ROCKY. ROAD. BROWNIES. Picture this: the perfect blend of a fudgy and cakey brownie, topped with toasted marshmallows, chocolate chips and peanuts.
I mean…JUST LOOK AT THESE. They’re decadent, thick, fudgy and seriously drool worthy.
What is in rocky road?
Rocky road is traditionally made up of marshmallows, chocolate, and peanuts (or some other crunchy nut). You’ve probably had this flavor in an ice cream cone or homemade fudge, and I promise you, it’s just as good in these brownies. The marshmallows work to cut some of the richness of the brownies and the peanuts add a much needed crunch.
Ingredients for Rocky Road Brownies
These are some thiccc brownies, so don’t say I didn’t warn you. The brownie base alone is more than enough, but add in the classic rocky road flavor on top and you’re in chocolatey marshmallow heaven. Luckily, they actually don’t require any crazy ingredients! You’ll need:
- Brown Sugar
- Cocoa Power
- Vanilla Extract
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips
You probably already have most of these ingredients on hand, and they’re made in one bowl AKA easy cleanup!
Fudgy vs Cakey Brownies?
A question that divides us all. And the great news is that you you don’t have to choose with these brownies, which are both fudgy and cakey.
Fudgy AND cakey?! But how, you ask. With a lot of testing, and many brownies consumed (we’re not complaining), we arrived at this perfect brownie that will please everyone. The eggs and whole wheat flour give the brownies that cakey brownie structure, while the high cocoa and butter content keep them fudgy and moist.
So like, best of both worlds.
How to toast marshmallows in an oven?
To get a good bake on your brownies without totally torching your marshmallows, top the brownies with the marshmallows in towards the end of the bake time. Take the brownies out when they have about 10 minutes left on the timer, sprinkle the topping on top and there you have it! If you want some burnt ones (totally personal preference) we’d recommend using the broiler and keeping your eye on them. If you’re looking for a nice even golden brown, you can just bake them at 350 ° F for about 10 minutes or until they puff up and start to brown.
The high sugar content of marshmallows means they can go up in flames pretty quickly, so keep an eye on them and make sure your rack isn’t too close to the top of your oven.
I love these brownies so much and am so excited for you all to love on them too.
So go ahead and celebrate Friyay with these Rocky Road Brownies!Print
Rocky Road Brownies
These Rocky Road Brownies have a thick fudgy brownie base topped with marshmallows, chocolate, and peanuts. All the flavors of old fashioned ice cream in our favorite form: brownie.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Yield: 9 huge brownies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- 1 1/4 cups salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9″x9″ pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds, then remove and stir with a whisk. Repeat process 2 more times. Though granules of sugar will remain, the goal is to get the mixture to a glossy finish.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly, then add in eggs one at a time, whisking in between each addition. Whisk until the mixture lightens in color slightly.
- Add in cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Fold in flour until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for roughly 45 minutes.Stick a knife inside the center. Once it comes out relatively clean, take the brownies out of the oven. Sprinkle the tops with the marshmallows, chocolate chips and chopped peanuts. Turn your oven to a broil to get the marshmallows to crisp up. Place the brownies back in the oven and cook for another 5 + minutes, until the marshmallows are toasted. Keep a close eye on the marshmallows, rotating the pan to ensure even toasting.
- Take the brownies out of the oven and allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!
Keywords: rocky road brownies