You know what makes Mondays a lot better? Donuts. Especially these strawberries and cream donuts loaded with strawberries and dipped in a marbled strawberries and cream glaze.
Strawberries and cream has always been one of my favorite flavor combos. When I was little, whipped cream and strawberries were my absolute favorite summertime treat. And we always had a can of Reddi-Whip in the fridge. My sister and I would beg my mom to spray a full mouthful straight into our mouths, which we’d follow up with a juicy strawberry. YUM.
These strawberries and cream donuts embody that delicious combo. They’re fluffy, moist, and oh so flavorful– you’d never guess these donuts were baked.
How to make baked donuts?
I have this donut pan and it’s changed my life. Making fried donuts can be such a production, but this pan makes whipping up some baked donuts on a Sunday (or Monday) morning a pinch. Simply make your batter and transfer it to a piping bag. This will ensure you’ll get that rounded donut shape. Pipe your donuts into the greased donut pan, bake at 350° F and watch the magic happen.
You could also make these with blueberries, raspberries, or any other chopped up fruit. If you do choose to use a fresh fruit, we recommend that you toss the fruit in some additional flour to soak up some of the moisture.
Alright my loves! Enjoy your Monday and these donuts!Print
Strawberries and Cream Donuts
These baked strawberries and cream donuts are loaded with strawberries and dipped in fresh creamy glaze. Better yet, they’re baked.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 14 donuts 1x
- Category: Donuts
for the donuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extra
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries, chopped
for the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons cream (or whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- red food coloring
- freeze dried strawberries
for the donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a non-stick donut pan with oil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combing the sugar, melted butter, egg, vanilla extract, almond extract, and milk. Whisk until everything comes together. In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir together until everything is mixed. The batter will be thick and tacky. Stir in the freeze dried strawberries.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large circular tip (I also use a regular plastic bag and cut a hole in the corner). Pipe batter into prepared donut pan.
- Bake donuts for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before frosting.
for the glaze
- In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar, cream, salt and vanilla together. Mixture will be pretty thick, but still drippy. If it seems too drippy, add one more tablespoon of powdered sugar.
- Divide icing into two shallow bowls, put 1/4 of the icing in one bowl and the rest in another ( you can just eye ball this). Mix a few drops of red food coloring into the smaller of the bowls to make pink. Microwave both bowls of icing for 15 seconds to get it to thin up.
- Drizzle some of the pink icing into the white. This will give the marbled effect. Make sure you don’t put too much pink into the white at a time to ensure you get marbled icing every time.Dip half of the donuts into the warm icing, then immediately sprinkle with crushed up freeze dried strawberries (if you wait too long the icing will harden up and the strawberries won’t stick).
- Repeat with the remaining donuts. Let icing harden and enjoy!