Today is Broma Bakery’s first birthday. I cannot believe it’s been a year since I started my blog. I’ve loved every bite, every photograph, and every post. Through midterms, finals, work, play, holidays, and bored mornings this blog has kept me sane. My motto for life is now unofficially, “when in doubt, bake.” And in looking back over old posts, I realize how insane I sound in most of my writing. It’s kind of ridiculous. So thank you for bearing with me. And happy birthday to YOU, Broma! My little baby’s all grown up! And we celebrating with homemade twix. Only the best for Broma 🙂
Twix and a blogiversary!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 24 candy bars 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: american
for the shortbread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
for the caramel
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
for the chocolate
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, cream sugar and butter for about two minutes. Stir in the vanilla. Add in the flour and salt, mixing until the dough starts to come together.
- On a lightly floured surface mix the dough together with your hands. Spread out into a 9″x13″ greased baking dish. Use a fork to poke holes in the dough so that no air bubbles will form. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the butter, salt, sugar, and condensed milk to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring often. The caramel should be medium-golden brown in color and the milky taste should pretty much cook out (taste test this!).
- Once the cookies are cooled, spoon the caramel over them. Again allow to cool completely before cutting the cookies into 1 1/2 by 4 inch bars. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one. Once the chocolate is completely melted, pour into a shallow bowl. Dip the cookie bars into the chocolate and set on wire racks to cool.
- Tadaaa, homemade Twix!
Keywords: easy, homemade, the best