Can I tell you a secret? You have to promise not to tell anyone, buuuuuut this buttery, delicious, insanely simple blueberry crisp is refined sugar free, gluten free, and vegan. I KNOW. We’re shocked too. And in our opinion, it is always a good sign when you can’t tell that something is healthy 🙂 With blueberry season in full swing, you must make this vegan blueberry crisp!
We love how easy, healthy, and fresh this blueberry crisp recipe is. Blueberries are one of my absolute favorite fruits and they really take center stage here. Growing up, we had blueberry bushes in our backyard and my siblings and I would pick bowls and bowls of fresh blueberries and pop them like candy.
So, it comes as no surprise them I’m absolutely obsessed with blueberry desserts. Gimme blueberry pie, blueberry scones, blueberry jam, blueberry muffins…like I would eat blueberries in ANY form. And this blueberry crisp is definitely one of my new favorites.
While I do love my bluebs, I would be seriously lying if I said I wasn’t that person who eats all the buttery delicious topping off the crisp and leaves the fruit for everyone else AKA the worst kind of person ever. Sorry not sorry. I mean, I think we can all agree that the best part about crisp isn’t the healthy fruit (though that part is good too). The best part is obviously that tender, crunchy, sugary crumble that makes eating blueberries for dessert feel decadent.
So let me tell you allllll about this delicious gluten free and vegan crumble topping because it’s crunchy, buttery, flavorful, and seriously addicting. And I do not jest when I say this puts all the other blueberry crisps to shame
How do you make blueberry crisp vegan and gluten free?
Crisps and crumbles are actually one of the easiest desserts to make gluten free and vegan because the fruit base of the crisp is already vegan and gluten free! The crumble topping is traditionally made with butter, sugar, flour, and sometimes oats. But with a few simple substitutions–vegan butter or coconut oil for dairy butter, and a blend of gluten free flours and old fashioned oats for regular flour, you’ve got yourself a pretty tasty crisp.
To push this crisp over the edge, we swapped out white sugar for unrefined, natural sweeteners like maple syrup and coconut sugar…I mean this sounds like a healthy breakfast to me?
And something that is super important when making recipes like this that are based on whole, natural ingredients, are your ingredients….DUH. And that’s why I absolutely love using Bob’s Red Mill Flour. Their flours, sugars, and oats, are always the highest quality and make tasty desserts even tastier 🙂
Are you a crazy person? Are you not into blueberries?? No judgment (but, like a little judgment).
The good news is that if blueberries aren’t your thang, you can always make this healthy crisp with another fruit! Apples, raspberries, strawberries, peaches…really any fruit you want.
Want to bring your healthy blueberry crisp to the next level? Top it with a scoop of coconut ice cream and you are in for a dairy free, gluten free treat, that tastes just like the real deal.
Enjoy the rest of blueberry season! I can’t wait to hear how much you love this gluten free vegan blueberry crisp!Print
Vegan Blueberry Crisp
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
for the blueberries
- 7–8 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
for the crumble
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar!)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Place the blueberries, maple syrup, lemon juice, and corn starch in the prepared pan and use a large spoon to stir everything together right in the pan. Yes–it’s that easy! Make sure the blueberries are evenly coated and well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the rolled oats, almond flour, gluten free flour, coconut sugar, almonds, and salt. Stir everything together. Add the vegan butter or coconut oil to the dry ingredients and mix well until the mixture forms clumps and everything is incorporated.
- Generously sprinkle the blueberries with the crumble topping. Bake for 45 minutes or until the blueberries began to bubble up and the topping has turned golden brown.
- Allow to cool before eating. Serve with nondairy ice cream! Enjoy 🙂
Keywords: easy, gluten free, vegan, non dairy, healthy, simple, one bowl, summer,
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for continuing to support the brands who help make Broma possible!