Haaaay! So let’s talk Christmas cookie recipes. It wouldn’t be a proper Christmas without a peppermint cookie. With chocolate. And white chocolate. So Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies it is then.
I stumbled onto this base chocolate cookie recipe on a whim in college. I just sort of guessed the amounts and ended up with the most chewy, fudgy, delicious chocolate cookie ever. It’s rich in chocolate flavor and the perfect base for tons and tons of white chocolate chips.
I kid you not I ate 1 of these cookies (sometimes 2) per day until they were gone. So…. yeah.
How to make double chocolate peppermint cookies
To make the perfectly fluffy chocolate cookie, you need to give the butter and sugar lots of time to whip together. The butter and sugar should turn slightly pale in color and should look slightly whipped by the time you’re finished mixing them together. If you’re mixing the ingredients by hand, this will take a good five minutes! Just think of it as your upper body workout of the day, and the time will fly by.
Once you’ve properly whipped together the butter and sugar, you can add in the egg and peppermint extract. Do NOT under any circumstances add more peppermint extract than this recipe calls for. You can totally add in more chocolate chips and mix-ins if you’d like, but if you add in more extract your cookies run the risk of tasting like mouthwash (um, gross).
Once you’ve mixed in the dry ingredients, you can portion out the dough and roll it into balls. That’s right, this chocolate peppermint cookie recipe requires no chilling! You’re welcome.
To make the white chocolate coating for these peppermint cookies, you’ll need to combine melted white chocolate with a little bit of coconut oil. The coconut oil prevents the white chocolate from fully hardening and keeps these cookies nice and fluffy. If you’re feeling extra festive (I know you are!), sprinkle some crushed peppermint candies onto the white chocolate before it hardens. It’s a small touch, but it looks impressive!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chewy Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies dipped in white chocolate and covered in peppermint candies. So perfect for the holidays!
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 7 oz high quality white chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until the mixture becomes light and airy (with a KitchenAid, about 2 minutes. with a manual whisk, about 5 minutes). Add in the egg and peppermint extract.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Next, add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, stirring until just combined. Gently fold in the white chocolate chips, being careful not to overmix the dough.
- Scoop roughly 1½ inch spheres of dough onto a cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches of space in between each ball of dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes, being sure to keep an eye on the consistency of the baking cookies. Allow to come to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- To make the white chocolate, place chopped white chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler and stir gently until melted. Dip each cookie into the white chocolate, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies, then place back on cooling rack until the chocolate hardens.
More peppermint desserts from Broma Bakery: