I feel like the world is split into two types of people: those who love muffins and those who don’t.
I am part of the latter group. Muffins just aren’t my thing. If I’m going to have a hunk of carbs, I either want a crunchy baguette or a fudgy brownie. So baked goods that are both flour-y and lacking in chocolate… I say what’s the point?
Then I made these Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins and my whole world got turned upside down.
You take a bite and your tastebuds go wild. Banana! Oatmeal! A hint of cimmamon! These muffins are SO moist and flavorful, you don’t even realize that you’re not eating a fudgy brownie or a gooey cookie. You’re just so happy to be noshing on these fluffy banana muffins.
OK so you’re eating the muffin and you’re like, wait what’s that? A nutty crunch? That’s right, there are walnuts in there! I mean, banana + walnuts = perfection. Come on.
Anyways. Yeah. They’re really good guys.
I made these muffins in those beautiful tulip muffin liners, which meant they were as big as those bakery-style muffins you get at Dunkin’ Donuts (can you tell I’m from Boston). But I wrote out the recipe with standard-sized muffin liners, as I assumed that’s what most people would have on hand.
So if you want them to look just like these babies, I divided the batter evenly into 6 tulips and baked them for maybe 5 minutes extra. Just test for done-ness by inserting a knife into the top of the muffin and seeing if it comes out clean.
- 1¼ cups mashed extra ripe bananas
- 1 banana, sliced into 2 inch slivers, for topping (optional)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable (or coconut) oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup old fashioned oats, plus additional 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts, plus additional 2 tablespoons for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 10 muffin tins with muffin liners, spray with non-stick baking spray, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk mashed banana, eggs, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in both flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, mixing until combined. Fold in ¾ cup chopped walnuts in the last few strokes of mixing.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, filling ¾ of the way up. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons walnuts with 2 tablespoons oats. Sprinkle over muffins. Last, top muffins with a 2" sliver of banana.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then turn oven down to 375°F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and spring back to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating!