I feel like the world is split into two types of people: those who love muffins and those who don’t. I am part of the latter group. Muffins just aren’t my thing. If I’m going to have a hunk of carbs, I either want a crunchy baguette or a fudgy brownie. So baked goods that are both flour-y and lacking in chocolate… I say what’s the point? Then I made these Whole Wheat Banana Muffins and my whole world got turned upside down.
You take a bite and your tastebuds go wild. Banana! Oatmeal! A hint of cimmamon! These banana muffins are SO moist and flavorful, you don’t even realize that you’re not eating a fudgy brownie or a gooey cookie. You’re just so happy to be noshing on these fluffy banana nut muffins.
OK so you’re eating the muffin and you’re like, wait what’s that? A nutty crunch? That’s right, there are walnuts in there! I mean, banana + walnuts = perfection. Come on. Anyways. Yeah. They’re really good guys.
I made these whole wheat banana muffins in those beautiful tulip muffin liners, which meant they were as big as those bakery-style muffins you get at Dunkin’ Donuts (can you tell I’m from Boston?). But I wrote out the recipe with standard-sized muffin liners, as I assumed that’s what most people would have on hand.
So if you want them to look just like these babies, I divided the batter evenly into six tulips and baked them for maybe 5 minutes extra. Just test for done-ness by inserting a knife into the top of the muffin and seeing if it comes out clean.
- 1 1/4 cups mashed extra ripe bananas
- 1 banana, sliced into 2 inch slivers, for topping (optional)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable (or coconut) oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, plus additional 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, plus additional 2 tablespoons for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 10 muffin tins with muffin liners, spray with non-stick baking spray, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk mashed banana, eggs, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in both flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, mixing until combined. Fold in 3/4 cup chopped walnuts in the last few strokes of mixing.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 of the way up. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons walnuts with 2 tablespoons oats. Sprinkle over muffins. Last, top muffins with a 2″ sliver of banana.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then turn oven down to 375°F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and spring back to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating!
More easy muffin recipes from Broma Bakery:
Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins
Blueberry Bran Breakfast Muffins
Apple Crisp Muffins
Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Dirty Chai Muffins