Moist apple muffins topped with a crunchy apple crisp topping. Like, omg.
Practically all of America goes apple picking in September. So the chances that you, dear reader, are going apple picking this month, are high.
This means the amount of apples in your kitchen will need to be baked.
I myself am going apple picking Sunday. I seriously can’t wait. Like, my boyfriend better be prepared for 5 apple recipes on account of all the apples I have to use up.
Speaking of which, may I suggest a few throwback apple recipes:
This applesauce spice cake I made for my dad’s 50th birthday
This cinnamon apple coffee cake I made with whole wheat flour because my sister told me to
This cranberry bourbon apple crisp that incorporates booze into dessert
These upside down apple biscuits. Though the photography is bad, the recipe is guuuuud
Sidenote: my old posts are hilarious. Pretty much just me complaining about the weather. Dying.
So enjoy those apples, people! And happy muffin makin’
- 1 medium apple
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin linings. Set aside.
- Peel 1 medium apple, then grate it on a large holed grater.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Fold in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold in shredded apples.
- In a separate bowl, combine crumble ingredients- brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Use a pastry cutter to work in butter until texture resembles a fine sand.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups, spreading evenly between 12 muffin cups. Crumble oatmeal topping over batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, then allow to cool sightly before serving!