Rich brownie-like birthday cupcakes topped with sinful chocolate frosting and, of course, SPRINKLES!
Did you know September is the month with the most birthdays? At least that’s what I’ve heard.
Though my birthday is in July, by September I’m fiending for birthday cake once again, so this timing is just perfect in my [belly’s] opinion.
So like, yes, these are birthday cupcakes, but *who’s* birthday it is is entirely up to you. Your friend’s? Your cousin’s? Your cat’s?
Instead of a “normal” chocolate cupcake, I made a brownie cupcake. As in, a cupcake with a rich, fudgy consistency.
It’s thicker than a typical chocolate cake, with a richness that will leave you hankering for a second helping.
I’m just staring at these photos right now and thinking how freaking cute are these cakes. Gah. Cupcakes are so happy-making.
So whether you have a birthday or not, these birthday cupcakes will have you feeling celebratory and satiated, no doubt about it. Yeeeee!
Happy Monday 🙂
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled (I use Challenge butter!)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 cupcake tins with cupcake molds. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Turn speed to low and mix in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour into cupcake molds and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Cream the butter and cocoa powder for 2-3 minutes, until the cocoa powder begins to lighten in color. Add in the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt, beating until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Frost cupcakes by placing frosting into a piping bag with a large star tip. Swirl the frosting around the cupcake, starting from the middle and working your way outwards. Continue to spiral the frosting up like a pyramid until the cupcake is frosted. Sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles!