GOOD MORNING! It’s Monday, and I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but tomorrow is Tuesday. And you know what Tuesday means? Tacos. I don’t know about you guys, but Taco Tuesday is a holiday in our home. And this week we’re going alllllll out with barbecue Chicken Street Corn Tacos. Corn tortillas loaded with juicy bbq chicken, creamy Mexican street corn, avocado, cotija and a dash of chili powder.
Um yeah. You’re welcome.
These tacos are honestly one of my favorite things we’ve made all spring and they are even better for summer and all that fresh corn. Tacos are the best because they’re super customizable, SO easy to make, and small enough that you can eat like…12?
What is Mexican Street Corn?
Ugh I love this stuff so much, even talking about it is getting me excited. Mexican Street Corn, a.k.a elote, is a DELICIOUS popular street snack often sold on the streets of Mexico, hence the name…Mexican Street Corn. If you’v never had it before, it’s grilled corn on the cob with just a little char, smothered in crema (essentially sour cream), mayo, and cheese. It’s usually sold on a stick, which I think is pretty fun. And the combination of textures, spices, and flavors is simple, yet perfect.
So why not stick that in a taco with some BBQ chicken and live your best life?
And the best part? It’s so easy to make.
Serve these up with some fresh guac and tortilla chips, a good margarita, and you are in for a GOOD night, my friends. You know I’ll be celebrating tomorrow with these. I hope you’ll join me.
So do your grocery shopping for dinner tomorrow. Or just make these tonight because why not have tacos every day 🙂Print
Barbecue Chicken Street Corn Tacos
Kicking off Summer Taco Tuesdays with Mexican Street Corn tacos loaded with barbecue chicken, cotija cheese, avocado, and fresh corn. Sign me up!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
for the elote
- 2 large ears fresh corn, husked and washed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crema, greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese*
for the tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 chicken breasts, grilled and barbecued
- 1 large avocado, sliced thin
- 2 jalapeños, sliced thin
- fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
for the elote
- Preheat grill 500°F. Grill the husked corn until it’s fully cooked, about 10 to 15. Rotate every three minutes to get an even char throughout. Remove the corn from the grill and keep warm!
- In a bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, crema, lime juice, and chili powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Slather the crema mixture over the cooked corn and top with crumbled cotija. It’s messy. Don’t worry.
- Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut the corn off the cob and set aside to use in the tacos.
for the tacos
- Prepare chicken on the grill (or buy some pre made to save time!), and set aside.
- Place corn tortillas on the grill to warm up. Assemble the tacos one at a time, placing the street corn, slices of chicken, avocado, and jalapeños into the warmed tortillas. Garnish with fresh cilantro and limes if desired. Enjoy!
*You can also sub feta if you can’t find cotija!