Celebrate all the fresh flavors of Spring with this decadent blueberry coffee cake recipe! This blueberry crumb cake is tender and moist with a thick layer of Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves and a buttery crumb topping that’s sure to knock everyone’s socks off.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
In case you missed it, HAPPY SPRING! March 19th came and went and I didn’t bat an eye. Of course, I was stuck in my house all day, but what can you do? So in case you missed it too, here’s your PSA that it’s officially SPRING!
And do you know what Spring means? Warmer weather, greener grasses, and most importantly, all those fresh spring flavors!
If you’re like me and looking for something to treat yourself and your family to while you’re stuck inside, how about bringing the outside in with all the delicious flavors that spring has to offer? I’m talking Orange Marmalade French Toast Bakes, Blueberry Coffee Cake, and homemade pancakes!
That’s where this blueberry crumb cake comes in. It’s tender and moist, complete with a thick layer of our absolute favorite Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves (sidenote: is it just us, or is blueberry the best preserves flavor ever?!).
Plus, it’s made in a square 8 x 8 pan, making it the perfect size to serve to you and your fam with a few leftover pieces for the next day (or a snack three hours later hehe). I promise – you, your kiddos and significant others will love this just as much as I do! So much so you might even make it for breakfast multiple times…
Ingredients for Blueberry Coffee Cake
This crumb cake recipe is made with basic ingredients you probably already have on hand in your pantry. But don’t let that fool you–these 10 ingredients bake up into the light and buttery blueberry coffee cake recipe of your dreams. All you need is:
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves
Why Make Blueberry Crumb Cake with preserves?
A lot of blueberry coffee cake recipes are made with fresh blueberries, but we prefer to make ours with Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves. If you’ve never had Bonne Maman, you’re missing out. I’ve been a fan of them since I was old enough to recognize their distinct picnic blanket-stamped lids at the grocery store. I absolutely love that each jar tastes like it came from a local market, and that I can use them on just about everything. And if that isn’t enough, here are few more reasons why we loves these wild blueberry preserves:
- No high fructose corn syrup
- No artificial colors
- No preservatives
- NON- GMO
- Made with fresh, premium, simple ingredients
In other words, these Wild Blueberry Preserves might as well be homemade from your Grandmother’s cupboard.
The best part? There are whole blueberries in these preserves, meaning you still get that beautiful blueberry texture in your crumb cake without having to make a trip to the store. This way you can experience all those yummy fresh Spring flavors straight from your cupboard!
Tips for Making Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Use high quality ingredients: In simple recipes like this, each ingredient will really make a difference. Now is the time to get the good butter and the Bonne Maman preserves 🙂
- Use room room temperature: Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature! This will ensure that everything incorporates together in your batter and prevent any splitting.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Over mixing will cause more gluten to develop! Only mix the batter until it’s just mixed so keep your crumb tender and soft!
How to Store Blueberry Crumb Cake
If you’re doing a lot of baking with not enough stomach space to eat it (SAME), you might be trying to freeze some baked goods for a later date. Luckily this blueberry crumb cake freezes incredibly well! Simply wrap your leftover tightly in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer safe plastic bag. Freeze for up to three months and defrost in the fridge overnight for when you’re ready to eat!
Treat yourself (and your family!) this weekend to this decadent blueberry coffee cake. You deserve it!Print
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Celebrate all the fresh flavors of Spring with this decadent blueberry coffee cake recipe! This blueberry crumb cake is tender and moist with a thick layer of blueberry preserves and a buttery crumb topping that’s sure to knock everyone’s socks off.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
For the blueberry coffee cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves
For the crumb topping
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Alternate add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk in three batches, starting with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Spread half of the batter into an even layer in the prepared pan. Spoon the Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves over the first layer. Top with the remaining batter, spreading into an even layer.You can use a greased spatula if you need. Set aside while you make the crumb topping.
- Combine all ingredients for the crumb topping in a large bowl. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the mixture together. It should resemble wet sand. Sprinkle the crumble over the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into 9 big pieces and serving!
Keywords: blueberry coffee cake, blueberry crumb cake
This post is sponsored by Bonne Maman. All text and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands who help make Broma possible!