Just because you’re broke doesn’t mean you can’t be luxurious. Case in point: Broke Girl Oreo Truffles.
These Oreo cookie truffles have only 4 ingredients, and they’re all cheap cheap cheap. All you need is a box of oreos, some cream cheese, a little coconut oil, and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Et voila, you can be fabulous. I used to make these truffles in college when I couldn’t afford to buy high-quality chocolate, but still wanted something special. My friends went crazy for them, and I felt like a regular Martha Stewart.
I garnished these babes with rose hips, which you can get in the Whole Foods bulk section for literally $0.50 because they basically weigh nothing. But you can also garnish them with just Oreo crumbles, or nothing at all. These also hold up well in the fridge as long as you keep them in an air-tight container. Which means you can ration them for weeks. Heheh.
How to make Oreo truffles
Make the Oreo truffle filling — Throw the Oreos (cream and all) into a food processor and pulse until the cookies resemble a fine powder. Add the softened cream cheese and a pinch of salt and pulse until the mixture comes together.
Roll and chill the truffles — Using a tablespoon, scoop and roll out the Oreo cookie truffles and place them onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Once you’ve rolled all the truffles, refrigerate the tray for 30 minutes to set them.
Make the chocolate coating — Near the end of the chill time, microwave the dark chocolate chips and a little coconut oil until fully melted (the coconut oil prevents the chocolate coating from becoming too hard).
Dip and decorate the truffles — Using a fork, dunk the Oreo truffles one by one into the chocolate coating. Shake off the excess chocolate and then place the truffles back onto the baking tray. Sprinkle the truffles with rose hips and Oreo cookie crumbles while the chocolate is still wet. Pop the tray back into the fridge to set the chocolate coating, and then enjoy!
How to wrap these Oreo truffles
These Oreo truffles make for a fabulous edible gift. Whether you’re gifting these to your S/O for Valentine’s Day, you mom for Christmas, or your BFF for her birthday, these truffles are always a good idea!
To wrap these truffles, I suggest buying a package of cute cellophane baggies from the store (grocery stores usually sell these around the holidays, and places like Target should carry them year-round). Pop a few truffles into the baggie and tie it shut with a piece of ribbon.
If the person you’re gifting these to is the DIY type, you could make a little note that says something like, “This coupon can be redeemed for one Oreo Truffle making session.” That way you’re giving a physical gift, plus the gift of an afternoon with you!
I’m off to Chicago for the week to visit my bestie Ambitious Kitchen. We have a pretty full itinerary, but if you guys have recommendations for places we need to eat at, let me know in the comments below!
Love you all and hope you have a fantastic rest of your week! Print
- 17 oreo cookies
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- pinch salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- dried rose hips
- In a food processor, pulse oreos until they resemble a fine powder. Add in cream cheese and salt and pulse until mixture is homogenous.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of truffle into your hand and roll into a ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a microwave-save bowl, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave in 20 second increments until melted.
- Use a large fork like a spatula to scoop each truffle and dip into the melted chocolate. Tap the fork gently against the side of the bowl so that any extra chocolate drips back into the bowl. Place each truffle back on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with dried rose hips and more oreo crumbles. Place back in fridge until fully hardened, about 30 minutes.
More easy dessert recipes:
30-Minute Red Velvet Cake for Two
Peanut Butter Fluff Cups
Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
30-Minute Chocolate Cake for Two
Salted Pretzel and Nutella Fudge