Can we talk about how insane this Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is? Like, I made it the other day after eating a full lunch, and could. not. stop. eating it. I basically had a second lunch. Because it was that good.
I made this baby in anticipation of the Super Bowl next week, because let’s be honest—half the fun in the Super Bowl is the ridiculously delicious food you get to make.
Of course the other half is the halftime show.
I’M KIDDING, people. It’s the Patriots. Obviously. Because there’s a higher chance than not the Patriots are going to be in the Super Bowl each year. Which makes this Boston girl happy.
But ok, can we talk more about how good this tater tot casserole is? It tastes like an adult Hamburger Helper. Creamy, umami, meaty, cheesy. Zomg. Seriously, a flavor explosion. If you don’t like tater tots, you should 100% still make this recipe for the cheeseburger part on the bottom. Because it’s epic.
How to make tater tot casserole
I’m pretty sure this is the easiest game day recipe ever. You’ll first need to cook the onion in some butter until it turns translucent (make sure it doesn’t brown!). Then, add in the ground beef—use 90% lean for the best flavor—garlic, and taco seasoning. You’ll want to brown the beef and make sure no pink bits remain before turning down the heat and stirring in the tomato paste and cornstarch.
Then mix in the half and half, salt, red pepper flakes, and tomato sauce and let everything bubble away for 5-10 minutes to give the sauce a chance to thicken up. Arrange the frozen tater tots on top of the cheeseburger goodness, making it as pretty as you want. Then bake for 25 minutes, or until the tots are a lovely golden brown.
I topped this cheeseburger casserole with scallions and cherry tomatoes to a burst of fresh flavor, along with a dollop of sour cream, because why not? This tater tot casserole is best eaten right away, as the tots lose their crispness in the fridge.
Dare I say this is the best tater tot casserole ever? Oh baby, I totally do.
Alright all this talk has me drooling. I’m off to make this baby again. HA!Print
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole: tastes just like a cheeseburger, topped with gooey cheese and a layer of crispy tater tots. Perfect for the Super bowl!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dip
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
for the bottom layer:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
for the top layer:
- 1 1/2 cups mexican blend shredded cheese
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
- sour cream, for garnish
- wild cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- green onions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat butter and onion until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium high and add in ground beef, garlic, and taco seasoning, stirring occasionally to break up the beef. Cook until lightly browned and no longer pink.
- Turn heat back to medium and stir in tomato paste and cornstarch until fully mixed in. Add in half and half, tomato sauce, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened and begins to bubble and pull away from the sides of the skillet.
- Remove from heat and top with cheese. Arrange frozen tater tots in concentric circles around the skillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until taters are golden brown and cheese is fully melted.
- Top with sour cream, cherry tomatoes, and green onions, and serve immediately!
Keywords: superbowl, game day, dip, crowd pleasing,
I was originally hired to develop this recipe for Sur La Table. But I just had to share it with you all! All text and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that help make Broma possible!