This probably comes as no surprise, but I absolutely love a good dessert disguised as breakfast. Like isn’t it amazing that it is socially acceptable to sugar load and essentially eat cake at 8 am? Gimme alllll the cinnamon rolls, babkas, and crumb cakes. And if I had to pick my absolute favorite breakfast treat it would be this Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake recipe. Buttery, moist cinnamon coffee cake studded with chocolate chips with a thick cinnamon swirl…like it’s my favorite thing ever.
DO YOU SEE THIS?!
The texture is simply unbelievable. And I know I say that all the time, but this coffee cake is seriously something special. It’s perfectly dense and buttery, yet it’s not heavy or greasy. And so moist, you could leave it out on the counter for 3 days and it still wouldn’t dry out. Throw some chocolate chips in there and you’ve got yourself a happy Sarah.
How make moist coffee cake?
There is nothing worse than dry coffee cake. You know exactly what I’m talking about: crumbly, flavorless, and bready. Yuck. Well lucky for you, our cinnamon chocolate chip coffee cake recipe is the exact opposite, all thanks to a full cup of greek yogurt or sour cream. The acidity in the greek yogurt gives the coffee cake a high rise, while also keeping your cake incredibly moist with a tender crumb.
What is the best flour to use for cinnamon chocolate chip coffee cake?
Bob’s Red Mill is one of my absolute favorite companies to work with, and their Unbleached White All Purpose Flour gives this cinnamon chocolate chip coffee cake it’s velvety crumb. Great ingredients make great cake, and that’s why I love Bob’s so much. Whether I’m using their nutritional yeast, poppy seeds, or flour, I always know the ingredients are going to be the highest quality and give me great consistent results every time. Which is so important for recipe testing.
So when we set out to make this coffee cake I knew we had to use Bob’s.
How to grease a bundt pan
I am a big parchment paper fan, but you can’t exactly line an intricate bundt pan with a sheet of it. This is where greasing and flouring comes in. Sure, it’s messy, but it’s also kind of fun 🙂 All you need to grease and flour a pan is some softened butter and all purpose flour.
- Bring 2 tablespoons of butter to room temperature.
- Use your hand to rub the butter all over the inside of your bundt pan, getting into all the nooks and crannies.
- Sprinkle flour into your pan and shake the pan around over a trash can or the sink, so coat the pan in flour
- Whack the pan against the counter to release any loose flour and dump the loose flour into the trash
Now you can pour your chocolate chip coffee cake batter into your pan and rest assured that you’ll have an easy release.
Bring this cinnamon chocolate chip coffee cake into work to seriously impress your coworkers. Whip it up for a birthday brunch or wedding shower. Send it in the mail to remind a friend you’re thinking of them (it travels so well!) or just make it for a Monday pick me up for you 🙂
I hope you guys love this coffee cake recipe as much as I do.
Have an amazing week!Print
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Dessert for breakfast? Heck yes! This cinnamon chocolate chip coffee cake with a thick cinnamon swirl is the perfect start to any day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 large bundt cake 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
for the cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
for the cinnamon swirl
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a large bundt pan and set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and add in the yogurt, vanilla, and eggs, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined and no clumps of flour remain. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Meanwhile, using a fork, whisk together brown sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon swirl. Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan and smooth using the back of a spoon. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the batter and swirl into batter using a fork or knife. Pour in the second half of the batter and swirl the rest of the brown sugar mixture over it.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the cake. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then plate and serve for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Keywords: crowd pleaser, celebration, christmas, easy, moist