It being Wednesday and all, I felt it apt for a little boozy treat to help us get through the middle of the week. Say hello to Double Chocolate Bourbon Brownies. As if bourbon brownies weren’t enough, I went ahead and frosted these little ones with a bourbon chocolate whipped cream. The end result? A melt-in-your-mouth brownie that’ll leave you crawling back for seconds (and thirds).
I understand that it’s springtime, but Michigan was hit with drizzly 37°F weather yesterday so I’m still craving chocolate. And this brownie hit the spot. The texture is like a sheet pan-style bakery brownie — it cuts and breaks like a cake, but the texture is ridiculously fudgy and moist. And at the same time it’s lighter than most fudgy brownies, making a whipped cream frosting a perfect pairing.
The bourbon hits you at the end. It’s a little kick and some warmth. I’m sure that if served in the fall, cinnamon in the frosting would taste incredible! So until it’s 80°F out, you can find me in my kitchen with some variation of brownies. And this week, it’s these superstars.
How to make double chocolate bourbon brownies
These bourbon brownies are really easy to make (and even easier to eat!). The basic steps for making these bad boys are:
Melt the chocolate and butter — Put the chocolate and butter into a large bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until melted fully. You’ll likely need to stir the mixture between cooking times to help it along.
Add the wet ingredients — First add the sugar to the melted chocolate mixture to cool it down before adding in the eggs, bourbon, and salt.
Fold in the dry ingredients — Using a spatula, fold in the cocoa powder and flour, making sure not to over mix the brownie batter.
Bake and cool the brownies — Bake the brownies until they’re just set, and then take them out of the oven and let them cool completely before frosting. You don’t want over bake these bourbon brownies, otherwise they’ll lose that uniquely fudgy, cakey texture!
Frost the brownies — Once the brownies have cooled, whip up the bourbon chocolate frosting and slather it all over the brownies. Serve with a large glass of milk, or perhaps a little more bourbon?
How to store bourbon brownies
Because these chocolate bourbon brownies have a whipped cream frosting, I’d recommend storing these in the fridge in a single layer. Let the brownies come to room temperature before you serve them (assuming you can wait that long). These bourbon brownies should last for 5 to 7 days in the fridge.Print
Double Chocolate Bourbon Brownies
- Yield: 9 brownies 1x
For the brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and bittersweet chocolate. Heat in microwave in 30 second intervals until fully melted.
- Stir in sugar to cool mixture down, then add in eggs, whiskey, and salt. Fold in flour and cocoa, mixing until the batter is smooth and glossy. Pour into lined baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Pour in the chocolate and bourbon while continuing to whip until thoroughly combined. Frost brownies, then serve!