I’ll admit it – I’m somewhat of a cookie monster. While brownies are Sarah’s thing, cookies are mine. I could eat them all day, every day. And they’re pretty much my favorite thing to bake too. Quick, easy to transport or mail to friends, and so customizable, I’m always baking cookies. And my favorite cookie recipe to bake right now? I mean other than Fluffernutter Cookies, because…duh. These healthy monster cookies.
Gluten free, vegan, and made in just one bowl, this monster cookie recipe is pretty much as easy and delicious as healthyish baking can be.
How to make healthy monster cookies:
Refined sugar free, gluten free, vegan, and made with just 10 ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, these healthy monster cookies come together in a pinch and please a crowd. Simply mix together all the wet ingredients (natural peanut butter, coconut sugar, flax eggs, and vanilla) in a large mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients (old fashioned oats, baking soda, and salt). And fold in the CHOCOLATE.
Huzzah. Healthyish monster cookies.
What are “healthyish monster cookies”?
Growing up I loved monster cookies. Peanut buttery, sweet and full of chocolate, they’re one of the more nostalgia inducing foods of my childhood. My mom would make huge versions and call them “monster” monster cookies. We’d scarf them down with a glass of milk after school as our fuel for ballet class. And damn they were good.
But now we are adults. And as an adult, I’m a little more conscious of what I’m putting in my body. We call these cookies healthyish monster cookies, because they’re still loaded with m and m’s and chocolate. Which personally I feel is part of a healthy diet, but I will give it to you that candy isn’t exactly a health food.
That being said, these are definitely a healthier choice. Made with natural peanut butter, coconut sugar (or maple syrup!), old fashioned oats, and dark chocolate; these cookies are made with real, whole ingredients that’ll fuel you up.
So whether you’re vegan, gluten free, or just looking for a damn good cookie I hope you enjoy these healthy monster cookies!
Healthyish Monster Cookies
Introducing your new favorite cookie recipe: one bowl, gluten free, refined sugar free, and vegan healthyish monster cookies.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: vegan
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3/4 coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons flax seed + 3 tablespoons water*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate coated candies*
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the flaxseed and water in a large mixing bowl and leave to set for 5 minutes. If you are making regular cookies and not vegan cookies, you can skip this part and just add your eggs! After 5 minutes, add the peanut butter, coconut oil, and coconut sugar. Mix until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the oats, baking soda, and salt and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate candies and the dark chocolate chips. Leave to sit for ten minutes before baking.
- Scoop the dough into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 9 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies and your oven) or until the edge are golden brown and the centers have puffed up a little, but the middle is still underdone.
- Allow to cool and enjoy with a glass of almond milk!
*if not vegan, you can also use one egg and one egg yolk
*Unreal has some great vegan m an m’s! We used m and m’s here because we’re not vegan, but we tested with Unreal’s version and they were great too!
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, healthy, quick, easy, one bowl