Happy, happy Monday loves! It’s me, Sofi, coming in hot with this unreal homemade Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake. Easy to make, absolutely delicious, and perfect for these hot summer months. Plus, we’re in an intense heat wave in Boston right now, so this is pretty much the only thing I’ll be eating. I hope you’ll join me 🙂
Now listen, I wasn’t always an ice cream cake person, but you could say I’ve officially been converted after this no bake ice cream cake. Creamy and delicious with the perfect combo of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, it’s a serious crowd pleaser and an excellent center piece for a summer party.
So…what is Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake?
Neapolitan ice cream cake is exactly what it sounds like it would be, but if you’re not familiar with Neapolitan ice cream, let me enlighten you. Most ice cream brands have a Neapolitan selection which will give you a little bit of everyone’s fav flavors. It consists of one gallon split into thirds of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Sounds pretty good right? Now make that a CAKE. Even better 🙂
So let me break down the cake version: Oreo cookie crust base, 1 thick layer of chocolate ice cream, 1 of strawberry, and 1 of vanilla, smothered in homemade whipped cream. I think it’s pretty obvious that you’re in for a no bake show stopping treat.
So let’s get to it! You only need 6 ingredients and you don’t even have to light your oven. SCORE!
Tips for making Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake?
- Think ahead: This cake is a breeze to make, but it does require some extensive freezing time (especially in this heat). Your ice cream layers will need to set for at least 12 hours and your assembled cake for a couple of hours too!
- Use store bought ice cream to save time: If you have the time to make homemade ice cream that rocks. But I sure don’t. Do yourself a favor and get some high quality store bought ice cream.
- Soften your ice cream: Pop your ice cream out of the freezer ahead of time so that it softens up a little. This will help to pack it down!
- Go overboard on the whipped cream: This is not a less is more situation. Load that cake up with whipped cream.
Make this for your next party or throw a party around this cake!
And good luck in this heat wave 🙂Print
Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake
Homemade Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake for all your summer celebrations. Whip up this chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream cake with just 6 ingredients!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 20 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: american
for the cake
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 full sleeves Oreo cookies (with the cream!)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
for the “frosting”
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
for the ice cream layers
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and set on counter for fifteen minutes to soften.
- While the ice cream is softening, completely line 3 8 inch round pans with plastic wrap.
- Once the ice cream is softened, take one pint at a time and use an ice cream scoop t0 transfer the pint to prepared pan. Take a large flat object (we used a 6 inch pan but you could also use the back of your ice cream scoop, a glass, etc.) to pack down your ice cream until it is smooth and even on top. Repeat for each flavor until you have one chocolate pan, one strawberry and one vanilla. Place the layers in the freezer to set for at least 12 hours.
for the Oreo cookie base
- After you’ve placed the layers in the freezer, make the Oreo cookie crust. In a food processor, pulse 2 full sleeves of Oreos with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. The mixture should be crumbly, but hold together. Remove the chocolate ice cream layer from the freezer and transfer the Oreo cookie crust to the top of the chocolate layer, packing it down until the top is even and flat. Replace the chocolate layer in the freezer and allow to chill overnight with the other layers.
assemble your cake
- When you are ready to assemble your cake, make the “frosting.” Place the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and salt in a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment. Whisk until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the chocolate layer from the plastic wrap first, placing the Oreo cookie crust side down onto a cake stand or large flat plate. Remove the strawberry layer next and place on top of the chocolate. Repeat with the vanilla.*
- Using a large offset spatula or a metal spoon, liberally frost the cake with the whipped cream, making big swirls and covering the top and sides of the cake. If you want the cute ice cream cone on top, take a cookie scoop and scoop a single ball on top of the frosted cake. Garnish with a cone. Serve right away or keep in the freezer for up to 1 week. Enjoy 🙂
*If you have room in your freezer for the cake to continue to set, you could assemble it in advance and then pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours before you serve it. Otherwise, assemble right before serving as it will melt quickly!
Keywords: show stopping, kid friendly, summer, hot, no bake, easy, semi homemade, quick