This cocktail is inspired by one of the best cocktails I’ve had in a while. I got it last weekend in Chicago at Siena Tavern. We sat down at the bar and I ordered a No. 5- a cider cocktail with bourbon and spices. It was incredible. Slightly sweet from the apple cider, but balanced with ginger, lemon, and cloves. I decided right then that I was going to make my own cider cocktail for Broma.
So here it is! I’ve made it 2 times since being home, it’s that good. And if you’re experiencing cold weather wherever you are, I’m sure it would be great as a Hot Apple Toddy, too. Enjoy!
P.S.- Have you been apple picking this fall? Need something to do with all those extra apples? Why not make your house smell like fall by boiling apples and cinnamon sticks? Cut 2-4 apples into quarters and place them in a medium-large pot. Add enough water so the apples are submerged and toss in 3-4 cinnamon sticks. Let everything come to a rolling boil, then allow pot to simmer for up to 3 hours. Keep an eye on the water level and add more when needed (the water will eventually evaporate, so be sure not to leave the house). Your house will be smelling amazing in no time!
Spiced Bourbon Cider
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1 cocktail 1x
- 4 oz apple cider
- 2 oz bourbon of choice (I suggest Maker’s Mark, Bulleit, or Buffalo Trace)
- pinch fresh grated ginger
- pinch fresh grated cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 drops Angostura bitters
- Apple slice, for garnish (optional)
- In a shaker filled with ice, pour in cider, bourbon, ginger, cloves, and lemon juice. Shake well.
- Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass, and top with bitters.
- (Optional) Cut a slit into a round apple slice, then arrange on the rim of the glass.