These nourishing morning glory muffins are the perfect hearty and wholesome breakfast baked good! Made with whole grains, oats, and packed full of veggies, you’ll love these morning glory muffins!
These morning glory muffins are my favorite muffins of all time!
If I had it my way, I’d eat baked goods for breakfast every single day. Coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, scones, and most importantly muffins! But sometimes you want a muffin, but also want to be like kinda healthy. I mean I love eating a donut to start the day off, but I hate the sugar crash that comes with it. Which is why I’m SO excited to share these wholesome and hearty morning glory muffins with you all today!
What are morning glory muffins?
If you haven’t had a morning glory muffin, I would like to express my deepest condolences. They’re seriously one of my most favorite breakfast muffins. Morning glory muffins taste like a combination of a spice cake, carrot cake, and apple bread, but (if you can believe it)….better! They’re what I would call a “hearty and wholesome” muffin, similar to a bran muffin. But don’t let that scare you off. These muffins are every bit as delicious as a chocolate chip or banana muffins.
Ingredients for morning glory muffins
Listen, I know these morning glory muffins call for a lot of ingredients, but DO NOT WORRY. Most of these ingredients are basic pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand and the others are easily subbed out. Check out our guide to baking substitutions to make this recipe work for what you have on hand!
- Orange Juice
- Oat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ginger Nutmeg
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable Oil
- Brown Sugar
Are morning glory muffins healthy?
By my standards, heck yes. They’re loaded with good for you ingredients like oats, whole wheat flour, apples, and carrots. Plus they’re lower in oil and sugar than a traditional muffin recipe thanks to all those fresh fruits and veggies which provide moisture and sweetness. And while I love a good buttery blueberry muffin, these morning glory muffins are a breakfast you can actually feel good about eating. They’ll leave your belly full and nourished to start the day off right. Plus they taste pretty darn good too, so that helps 🙂
If you’re looking to lighten them up even more, you could replace some of the oil with apple sauce and swap out the brown sugar for coconut sugar, honey or maple syrup!
Optional add-ins for morning glory muffins
I know 15 ingredients is a lot for a recipe, but if you’re already using that many, why not throw in a few more. Hehe. OR sub out something you don’t have on hand!
- Nuts: Pecans or walnuts would add a delicious crunch to these muffins!
- Coconut: We have shredded coconut on the ingredient list because for us it’s a nonnegotiable, but it’s totally optional!
- Dates: Chop up some dates and fold them in for some added sweetness and fiber!
- Berries: Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries..the list goes on. Berries are one of my favorite additions to muffins and they add a delicious berry burst to these morning glory muffins.
- Jam: Want to take these healthy breakfast muffins to the next level? Swirl in some preserves for a fruity finish!
- Peanut butter: Drizzle your muffins with peanut butter or almond butter for a protein packed punch
Now let’s all have muffins for bfast today! Have a wonderful day, my loves!
Morning Glory Muffins
These scrumptious morning glory muffins are hearty enough for breakfast and loaded with raisins, oats, and alllll the good stuff.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 minutes 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded carrots, packed
- 1 cup shredded apples*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line 24 muffin cups with liners. Grease the tops of the muffin tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable oil, brown sugar, and eggs. Use a whisk to beat everything together. Add the carrots, apples, vanilla, and orange juice.
- Add the oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices to the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Do not over mix. Fold in the raisins and coconut if using.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter into each of the prepared muffin cups and bake at 425°F for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn the oven down to 375° and bake for 12 more minutes or until the muffins spring back to the touch and a knife inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before enjoying!
*You can also sub out the shredded apples for apple sauce!
Keywords: morning glory muffins, healthy muffins, breakfast muffins