This recipe for The Best Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies in the World are a deliciously nutty twist on classic chocolate chip cookies. These chocolate chip cookies are slightly crunchy on the outside, with a chewy and soft inside!
This Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies Are My Absolute Favorite
OK so I’m not going to lie, these chocolate chip tahini cookies are the BEST cookies I’ve EVER made. EVER.
Which is, like, a huge deal considering that my mom made cookies so much growing up that my friends nicknamed them Katharine Canfield Cookies (or as my little sister called them, “Kaffin Canfeeld Cookies”). So when I say these are the best cookies I’ve ever had- not just ever made, ever had—ehm, yeah. That’s big.
What Is Tahini?
OK, so some of you may be asking “What the heck is Tahini? I know I’ve heard of it, but what is it?” Well, tahini is sesame seed paste. So, think peanut butter, but with sesame instead of peanuts. Tahini is especially popular in Middle Eastern recipes, and you’ve probably eaten it without realizing it. Tahini is often reserved for savories recipes, like hummus, but it’s the perfect complement to sweet desserts too!
If you’ve tried tahini before and didn’t like it, chances are that you tried bad tahini (it totally exists!). Good tahini is uber creamy and slightly nutty, but there are quite a few less-than-amazing tahini brands sold at the store. (Bad tahini is weirdly dry and bitter).
Why Use Tahini In Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Using tahini in this easy cookie recipe resulted in a chocolate chip cookie with a slight nutty taste. It’s not overwhelming at all. Just enough to make you go “Ooh!”
This recipe is especially good for those of you who can’t have peanuts, as tahini is reminiscent of peanut butter.
What Do These Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies Taste Like?
I recipe tested these babies four times to get them perfect, and that’s exactly what they are. They’re perfect.
The texture is just out of this world. They’re slightly crunchy around the outside, but the middle is gorgeously chewy and soft. The mouth-feel is just like a bakery-style cookie where you’re like, wait, what is that magic they used on these cookies I can’t stop eating them.
K, so enjoy every last bite of these babies, because they are seriously the best chocolate chip tahini cookies in the world.
The Best Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies In The World
These Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies are a deliciously nutty twist on classic chocolate chip cookies. Slightly crunchy on the outside, with a chewy and soft inside, they are amazing!
- Yield: 12 large cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (seriously! it helps w the nuttiness*)
- 6 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped (can also use 1 cup chocolate chunks or chips)
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and both sugars until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in egg and cream for an additional 2 minutes. Add in tahini, vanilla extract, and salt and cream until light and fluffy, 1 minute more.
- Mix in baking soda and flour until just combined. Toss in chopped chocolate and mix to combine.
- Remove dough from bowl and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours, but up to 24 hours. This part is necessary to get a nice, chewy cookie!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll cookie dough into 2 inch balls and place on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Push cookies down slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are the slightest bit golden around the edges. They will look puffed and underbaked, but will continue to cook as they cool. Allow cookie to cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Top with a sprinkle of sea salt and serve!
This recipe really requires air to be whipped into the batter, so really mix things for the full time in the recipe. If you don’t have a standing mixer, use a hand mixer and whip it good! 🙂
*if you don’t want to use whole wheat pastry flour, you can substitute it with 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons AP flour
Keywords: chocolate chip tahini cookies, homemade cookies recipe, chocolate chip cookie recipe, tahini chocolate chip cookies, tahini cookies, tahini cookies recipe
More Easy Cookie Recipes You Might Like: