HAPPY FRIDAY LOVEBUGS. And let me tell you, it is about to get a whole lot better with this brown butter banana chocolate chip sheet cake with cream cheese frosting. Try to say that ten times fast, because we sure can’t.
Eat ten pieces…now that we can definitely do.
Let me warn you before you make this delicious sheet cake that everyone is going to go bananas, as in B-A-N-A-N-A-S, for this banana cake recipe. Sofi made this cake for a bridal shower and had multiple people request it as their wedding cake…seriously.
If that isn’t enough to sell you on this amazing brown butter banana cake idk what to tell you.
How to Use Brown Butter
Well you’ve come to the right place.
In case you couldn’t tell (hello: brown butter snickerdoodles, brown butter banana bread, brown butter pecan biscuits, brown butter nutella cookie bars, brown butter sage pasta, brown butter maple chess pie, brown butter brownie ice cream...the list goes on), we LOVE brown butter.
And as you can see, you can use it in SO many different kinds of recipes. It’s amazing in savory and sweet dishes alike and is pretty much our favorite thing in the world.
And I mean who wouldn’t love brown butter? It’s nutty, warm, toasted flavor deepens any baked good.
It’s pretty damn perfect in this brown butter banana chocolate chip sheet cake. Nutty, tender, moist and studded with chocolate chips…drooling. And don’t even get me started on the cream cheese frosting.
How to make the moistest banana bread ever
I’ve been perfecting this over the years, and I’ve found a combination of mashed banana, butter, and greek yogurt makes the most tender and moist banana bread that melts in your mouth. For this banana bread, we used brown butter for flavor, greek yogurt to keep it extra moist, and 5 bananas because it is a banana cake and we wanted that to be the star flavor despite all the other deliciousness going on.
Tips to keep banana bread moist
Use overripe bananas—Super ripe, even brown, bananas are the key to making a sweet, moist, flavorful loaf of banana bread. If your bananas aren’t quite ripe enough yet but you’re dying to make a loaf, pierce them with a fork a few times and bake them in the oven for 10 minutes until brown. Let the bananas cool completely before adding them to the batter!
Use non-fat greek yogurt— We love to use greek yogurt because of its acidity! It will help the bread to rise more by activating the baking soda, keep it moist, and gives it a good tangy flavor.
Use room temperature ingredients—This banana sheet cake just won’t turn out the same if you’re using a straight from the fridge egg. All the ingredients should be room temperature before adding them to the batter.
Well, my loves, that’s all for today! We’re off to NYC and need to finish packing! Please tell us we’re not the only ones who procrastinate until the very last minute on packing?
And we’ll be eating this brown butter banana chocolate chip sheet cake allll morning.
Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 9 x 13 inch sheet pan 1x
- Category: sheet cake
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
- 5 extremely ripe (even brown) bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and browned
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 9 ounces non-fat greek yogurt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup + 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
for the cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons whole milk
- finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 x 13 ” sheet pan with parchment paper or grease and flour it. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan brown the butter over medium heat, whisking constantly until the butter begins to foam and brown. Keep a close eye on it and don’t let it boil! You’ll know it’s done when it starts to smell toasted and nutty and takes on a golden hue.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the brown butter, stirring to combine. Mix in the eggs, greek yogurt, and vanilla. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back to the touch. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
for the frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle adjustment, beat the softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy. Add milk as necessary to keep the frosting light.
- Once the cake has cooled, frost and sprinkled with walnuts. Enjoy!
Keywords: baked, banana, brown butter, cream cheese, cream cheese frosting