You know what is right around the corner? Thanksgiving. And do you know what Thanksgiving means? Classic, wholesome Thanksgiving dishes like pumpkin pie, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and most importantly, sweet potato casserole. So we made the most delicious, loaded sweet potato casserole to satisfy allllll your Thanksgiving cravings.
What is sweet potato casserole?
Oh, I’m sorry, do you live under a rock? If you’ve ever been to a classic Thanksgiving celebration, then you’ve probably had the treat of inhaling a full serving of sweet potato casserole. Sweet potato casserole is generally made with a lightly sweetened sweet potato base and topped with a buttery pecan crumble, and finished off with s thick layer of broiled marshmallows.
Dessert? Maybe. Side dish? Always.
How to cook sweet potatoes:
You can cook sweet potatoes so many different ways!
- Boil them: Simply boil a large pot of water and add sweet potatoes. Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender!
- Roast them: Stab the potatoes with a fork to allow any extra heat or pressure to release. Roast, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until tender1
- Cook in an Instant Pot: Pour water into your Instant Pot and place the steamer basket inside the pot. Place the sweet potatoes in the steamer basket and cook on high for 15 minutes
How to make sweet potato casserole:
Easily my favorite thing about sweet potato casserole is how incredibly simple and quick it is to make. Simply mash cooked sweet potatoes with brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Top with a decadent, buttery crumble and a thick layer of marshmallows for the perfect side dish to your Thanksgiving feast!
Happy almost Thanksgiving, my loves!
We hope you enjoy this loaded sweet potato casserole as much as we do!Print
Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole
This loaded sweet potato casserole topped with a buttery crumb topping AND marshmallows for the ultimate thanksgiving side dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minuts
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 57 minute
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: savory
- Method: cooked
- Cuisine: baked
for the sweet potato
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
for the topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- Roast or boil the sweet potatoes until fully cooked. Set aside to cool before peeling.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a 9 x 13″ pan and set aside.
- Combine the cooked and peeled sweet potatoes with the brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Use a potato masher or a large fork to combine until homogenous.
- Place the sweet potato mixture in prepared pan.
- Combine all topping ingredients except for the marshmallows for the crumble in a large bowl and use a fork to combine until the mixture resembles wet sand and starts to clump.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the sweet potato mixture. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and top with the full bag of marshmallows. Bake for 15 more minutes until marshmallows are golden brown and toasty. Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then serve right away! Enjoy!