37 calorie brownies… and no, I’m not kidding.

MG_31811

Yeah, so I was baffled myself. But it’s true. If you cut these brownies into 9, they are 37 calories each. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? Well, take out your calculators and add up some numbers, and you’ll see it’s true. And the weirdest part about it is: they taste pretty damn good. Now, normally I’m not a fan of low-calorie desserts, because I think it’s a joke. If you’re going to eat dessert, eat. dessert. But one of my favorite bloggers, Rosie the Londoner, put these babies up the other day and they looked so gooey and delish I just had to try them. Now, I made some changes to my liking, so if you use slightly different ingredients (regular yogurt v greek, etc) they may come out differently. And, as Rosie says, be sure to undercook your brownies. They taste so so so much better that way!

For the brownies:

3/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
1/2 cup Old fashioned rolled oats (like Quaker)
1/2 cup Truvia (or any natural/stevia based sweetener that pours like sugar)
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a square baking dish (I used 8″x8″). Combine all ingredients into a food processor or a blender, and blend until smooth (about 1 minute). Pour into the prepared dish and bake for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting into 9 large squares. YAHM.

Optional: I added about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to my batter, just to live dangerously. This brings the calorie count up to about 65 calories per brownie. Not bad, not bad.

Recipe from The Londoner

Comments

• says

Whena recipe says to use egg whites I save the yolk for breakfast the next day. Waste not want not. ^_^

I think your calorie count is a bit off, I ran it through my nutrition calculator and it says 9 servings makes 52 calories apiece. That’s still very low! But you may want to edit your title.

I made some additional adjustments to your recipe as well. I used original (unsweetened) almond milk instead of skim milk and unsweetened applesauce instead of Truvia/sweetener.
      I know from experience almond milk bakes just as well as skim and although Truvia and other artificial sweeteners may be calorie free, they’ve been linked to long term health issues. (Leukemia, liver lesions)
      With these adjustments the new calorie count is 55 calories per serving. That’s only 3 calories over your recipe, and trust me, they are DELICIOUS!

Thank you for sharing! This recipe was an inspiration.

I think your calorie count is a bit off, it’s 52 not 37. :p

I replaced the sweetener with unsweetened applesauce and the milk with unsweetened almond milk. New count is 55 calories apiece, still very delicious.

I won’t lecture you on the affects of artificial sweeteners. :)

• suzanne says

Chad would you still add 1/2 cup of applesauce or less? I’m just wondering if there would be too much wetness since the sugar is a dry ingredient.

• MichElle says

Truvia is not an artificial sweetener, it is processed but is from stevia and erythritol which are both natural sweeteners which have zero glycemic response and much better for you than real sugar or even honey and maple syrup in higher amounts.

1. Kath says

Just had a look at the original recipe and she says there are 100 cal per brownie? Not sure how the different number came up but would love to go with the 37 cal version!

• Anonymous says

I got about 99 per 9 pieces, and if I cut them into 12, I get 56 calories. However, I added 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips ( so a little more than you ). But I also used regular flour. Of course, followed the rest of recipe right! Will try again and see if I can lower calories.

• says

greek yogurt is different from and “original” or “flavored” yogurts, which contain a lot of sugar. you need to look for *greek yogurt* in the dairy aisle.

• Anonymous says

You can get plain greek yogurt and plain regular yogurt (unflavored). You can also buy flavored of both. I have vanilla flavored and honey flavored greek yogurts (REAL greek yogurt, not just ‘greek-style’ yogurt, that’s tricky for consumers… greek style yogurt is no better for you that regular, if you want to awesome protein go for the real stuff) in my fridge right now. Personally… i bet either of those two would taste fabulous in this recipe!

• says

I don’t think Broma knows that Greek Yogurt can be flavored. There are all kinds of Greek yogurts now. I buy 0% PLAIN Greek Yogurt and that is what is being recommended in this recipe.

• says

broma knows. traditional greek yogurt (also called labneh, strained yogurt, etc) is exactly as anon says above. while greek yogurt can be flavored, it then is not real greek yogurt, but greek-style yogurt made for consumers. they market being more healthy than “reagular” yogurt, when in actuality there is just as much sugar as in regular yogurts, and sometimes even more fat and saturated fat. as stated in the directions, i used Fage 0%, which is creamy and thick, with no added sugars.

2. says

We love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

• says

Unfortunately you cannot substitute with drops. The reason this recipe works is because it has a consistency similar to sugar. you can either use real sugar, or buy the kind that pours like sugar!

• says

It probably has to do with the cooking time. Were your brownies gooey? The key to these is that you cannot overcook them! I took mine out as soon as I saw them cooking on top, because they continue to cook in the pan after you take them out. Hope this helps!

• says

Mine were awful too. I had doubled the batch to take it to a potluck and threw the whole thing in the garbage. I followed the recipe exactly. I’m stumped. They looked weird and all I could taste was the sourness of the yogurt and the bitterness of the cocoa. I really want to try again but I don’t want to waste all the ingredients again.

• Anonymous says

These had the texture of mousse and were very bitter. I even added extra stevia after I tasted the batter. Had to throw the whole batch out.
      What a waste of good stevia.

• says

These are not delicious. I was hopeful, but followed this recipe exactly and they look NOTHING like the picture and they taste awful. If you like chocolate flavored yogurt you might like them.

• Anonymous says

I made them and loved them, added a handful of mini chocolate chips, my kids and husband did not like them, so I will eat them all or take some to work.

3. Anonymous says

I made these with no chocolate chips and had to add extra splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla to make the batter edible. They did not taste good. You’d be better off with real brownies and the extra calories.

• says

you may have run into trouble because you used Splenda. You have to find a sweetener that *pours like sugar*, such as Truvia. Splenda makes sugar for baking, as well. It will completely change the final product.

4. Sancia says

I’ve made these twice and both times they turned out about a quarter inch think and tasted a little off. I use natvia (a stevia and erythritol blend. Does this recipe need flour?
    Thanks :)

• says

what size pan did you use? they shouldn’t be that thin. i used an 8×8, which yielded a little thicker brownie. also, does natvia have a sugar-crystal consistency? the recipe does not need flour because you use basically emulsified oats as your starch base.

5. Anonymous says

Could you use honey as a sweetener, and substitute in quick oats, or will this change the recipe too much?
    Thanks!

• says

You could do both, but I really can’t say how they’d turn out. If you don’t want to use an artificial sweetener I would use something like cane sugar. The quick oats will definitely change the brownie.

6. Anonymous says

Can you mix them with a mixer instead or is it necessary to break down the oats with a food processor or blender?

7. says

Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com and your photos published on FoodieNewz without any editorial review.

8. says

Hi! I just tried these. Taste-wise they are pretty good- they do taste healthy (with a slight chemical taste) but very chocolatey and really pretty yummy. My question is this: what calorie counter are you using? I have tried two different counters using your exact recipe (sans chocolate chips) and the calorie count for 1 serving (if it makes 9) is between 65-70. It’s consistent on two different sites. Still great for a brownie, but there is quite a big difference- that’s almost twice your stated calorie count. Can you give us a breakdown of what your ingredient calorie counts are?

• says

Sure! The entire recipe breaks down as follows: 3/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt: 75cal
      1/4 cup skim milk: 25cal
      1/2 cup Cocoa powder: 100cal
      1/2 cup Old fashioned rolled oats: 150cal
      1/2 cup Truvia: 0cal
      1 egg: 60cal
      1 teaspoon baking powder: 0cal
      1 pinch salt: 0cal

That’s 410 calories for the whole pan. If you were to not miss one calorie from the recipe (say, from the way you measured the ingredients, or the teensy bit you miss scooping out the batter from the pan, or the gunk that gets stuck on your knife), you’d get 45 calories per brownie. However, taking those factors into account, I figured about 37 calories per brownie.

Hope this helps!

• Abbe says

Truvia has calories! There are 190 calories per 1/2 cup! You are misleading those making your brownies. DIRECTLY from their website:

“Just one bag of Truvía® Baking Blend provides as much sweetness as a 3-lb. bag of sugar. Bakes and browns just like sugar with 75% fewer calories per serving than sugar. 1/2 cup (190 calories) of Truvía® Baking Blend is equal to 1 cup of sugar (760 calories).”

Truvia® Baking Blend |
        truvia.com/products/baking-blend

• Sarah | Broma BakerySarah | Broma Bakery says

I was not aware of this. If that is true, then yes, you would have to add 190 calories to the mix, which, luckily for us, only adds 21 calories to each brownie :)

• christa says

She is not using Truvia baking blend (that contains a combination of truvia and real sugar).
          She is using Truvia – 0 calories, 0 g of fat

9. Anonymous says

I’m making this for the third time. The first two times did not turn out and I think it was because I used stevia in the raw and it does not pour like sugar. I’m trying it this time with steviaCane which will add more calories but hopefully it will be ediable :)

10. says

I Tried It Today … It Tastes Just Like Brownies ( For Those Who Has Doubts )
    I Couldn’t Find Any Sweeteners Around So I Used A Bit Of Honey And Sugar Instead .
    I Would Totally Recommend It …

11. Anonymous says

I was so excited to try this, I followed every single step and used all of the ingredients listed and they taste horrible. it sucks

12. says

Not sure why they didn’t turn out for others. I just made these and they are AWESOME. I used 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of truvia which I know will up the calories, but that’s ok. These will be a staple. Also used almond milk instead of skim. Thanks so much. Love!!

13. Anonymous says

Our family didn’t like the aftertaste (and during taste) from the Truvia. The texture left a little to be desired as well. I used pourable Truvia. Is there one specifically for baking I should have used? If I were to try these again, I would use at least half real or brown sugar and increase the oats, but I might just try a different recipe. Oh well.

14. Anonymous says

well I never ever tried brownies my friend came last night and she said that she made some and I was so interested to make brownies but the thing that im on a diet

15. Anonymous says

this recipe is a waste of ingredients. tastes flat, artificial, and vaguely like aspartame. i’m stinking with my fatty yet delicious recipes, thank you very much.

16. says

My calculations say that this brownie would be around 53 calories, have 1.3 g fat, 1.26 g sugar, and 4.25 g of protein per brownie if made in a 8 x8 pan and cut into 9 squares.

I used 3/4 c. Meijer brand plain Greek Yogurt (97.5 cal, 0 fat, 6.75 sugar and 17.25 protein)

1 egg (71 cal, 5 fat, 0 sugar, 6 protein

1/4 c. fat free milk (20 cal, 0 fat, 3 sugar, 2 protein)

1/2 c. nestle baking cocoa (120 cal, 4 fat, 0 sugar, 8 protein)

1/2 c. old fashioned quaker brand oatmeal (150 cal, 3 fat, 1 sugar, 5 protein)

1/2 c. splenda (0 cal, 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 protein)

1/3 c. Mott’s original natural applesauce (16.6 cal, 0 fat, 3.6 sugar, 0 protein)

1 tsp. clabber girl baking powder (0 cal, 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 protein)

1 pinch of salt (0 cal, 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 protein)

for the whole 8×8 pan is (475.1 cal, 12 fat, 11.35 sugar, 38.25 protein)

for 1 brownie (52.78 calories, 1.3 fat, 1.26 sugar, 4.25 protein)

so what am I doing wrong and what brands did you use?

17. Anonymous says

Loved them. I did not blend in a processor and I think adding a little peanut butter next time, the taste will be as good as no bake cookies. I did use a little honey for the sweetness. Thanks for the indulgence. LOVE THEM!

18. says

awful, I made two batches, the second I bought all new ingredients and was sure I purchased baking stevia. I threw out both batches, if I was on a deserted island I would only eat them on the 4th or 5th day. If you can stick your finger in baking chocolate and eat it you might like them, not sweet with an after taste also. i use stevia in my coffee everyday.

I even added a table spoon of butter to the second batch, no hope.

• Anonymous says

they taste weird to me too, so i added more splenda granulated or whatever, and i topped it with that caramel walden farm’s calorie free “caramel” syrup an baked it for like 35 minutes, but i live in denver, so alitude might play a factor in baking times, i kept checking it…turned out wonderful….the walden farms caramel syrup is horrid, so I finally found a use for it, tastes like butterscotch on these brownies and gives them a delicious sweetness and gooey texture…i definitely recommend adding more of whatever granulated sweetener you are using and tasting the batter before baking….if it tastes bitter before baking it will taste bitter after..

19. Anonymous says

All I can say to those whining here – well, don’t use shoddy ingredients! You get what you put in. I just made a batch today and they are GORGEOUS. I even licked the bowl :} Thank you!

20. Anonymous says

mine turned out awful. i don’t understand why there’s so many varied reviews. everyone knows what a good brownie tastes like. mine have almost a mousse-like consistency and are gooey. does anyone know what im doing wrong? i’m trying to make them for Thanksgiving tomorrow (Canada) for one of my cousin’s with celiac disease….

• Anonymous says

The people that had good results substituted sugar, honey, brown sugar, or a blend of artificial and regular sweetener for the stevia. II made them, they were horrid. I remade them using regular sugar and they are ok. it seems kind of pointless if you are adding all that sugar…might as well go for one REALLY good brownie and really satisfy sweet tooth. The bad batch I broke up and put in warm sugar free choc. pudding…not too bad that way!

21. Anonymous says

Very good! I used erythirol, which is the cheapest and easiest to get natural sweetener where I live. Also didn’t have greek yoghurt, so I used normal nonfat plain yoghurt and omitted the milk (nonfat plain yoghurt is a lot more liquid than greek).

I found them to have a very strong chocolate flavor, which I think is due to the kind of cocoa powder I used, so I will use a little less next time. Apart from that they turned out perfect, and the fact that they had no butter, sugar OR flour is just unbelieveable.

Made half a batch and ate the entire thing, which is under 200 calories, so not bad at all. But the best part was how it really filled me up and left me without the sweet-and-savory craving that I have so often on my diet. I mean, filled me up like a normal lunch would, and ridiculously for less calories. Will definitely be making these again!

22. Anonymous says

I also found the brownies to be gooey and mousse-like and I followed the recipe exactly. Maybe the baking time needs to be adjusted. The flavor was good, but too much like a pudding.

23. Anonymous says

I kept an open mind when trying these. I was not trying to compare them to regular brownies. I just thought it would be great to find something chocolatey for minimal calories. These were just HORRIBLE. Threw them all away.

24. Anonymous says

I’ve been baking for a long time and as soon as I saw this recipe I knew it would not come out anything like a real brownie. Way too much moisture. I decided to try it anyway just to see. The batter was extremely runny. As others stated it came out like mouse. They were bitter and discussing and the texture was nothing like a brownie. Don’t waste your time or money.

25. says

Got mine approved and under my name- though it uses the same base for this recipe, it alternates and is more specific- also it has no oats.
    Here are the specific ingredients and the calories with them.

- [3/4 cup] Greek Yogurt, Plain, Low Fat, 1 serving container: 80 calories
    - [1/4 cup] Blue Diamond, Almond Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla: 7.5 calories
    - [1/2 cup] Hershey’s Dark (or non dark) Chocolate Cocoa Powder: 80 calories
    - [1 cup] 0 Calorie Sweetener (sugar base)
    - [1/4 cup] Nectresse Monk Fruit: 0 calories
    - [1.5 tbsp (tablespoon)] Egg beaters Original: 12.5 calories
    - [1.5 tbsp] Egg Beaters 100% Egg Whites: 12.5 calories
    (in total for eggs, it’ll be 25 calories)
    - [1 tbsp] Baking Powder: 0 calories
    - Tiny pinch of salt: 0 calories

Total calories for whole batch: 192 calories

Batch divided by NINE: 20-21 calories a piece

Batch divided by TEN: 19 calories a piece (use smaller pan to get fluffier texture)

Optional but use with caution, as too much liquid can make batter too thin.
    -[1 tsp (teaspoon): 0 Calorie Coffee Syrup Chocolate (or caramel,or vanilla)
    Add a bit more imitation sugar to thicken the mix.

I’ve also noticed a bunch of negative comments in regard to these brownies.
    1) You have to make sure you’re baking them at the right temperature for the right amount of time. These are NOT regular brownies, and are much lighter, both in ingredients and fats/carbs, so the batter needs less baking time and more heat, but not at the bottom rack, or the bottom can burn our the batch can turn out with little taste.

2) These are a healthy alternative. Go ahead and stuff yourself silly with bad for you brownies. Sure, it’s worth the 300 calorie a slice isn’t it? With healthy foods it gets some getting used to. Maybe when I was a kid I would’ve hated these. But now that I eat healthy, these brownies (or at least the way I made them) turned out great.

26. Anonymous says

THESE BROWNES ARE AMAZING!!!!! They don’t even taste low fat and low calorie! One of the best ever recipes, with the nutritional content just being a bonus! Don’t wait – just bake! Super easy too!

27. says

I finally made these and I really liked them, thanks so much for sharing your recipe! Now I can have some brownies for Christmas! WOOHOO!! I know it would add calories but I think Ill swirl some peanut butter on top just for fun too :)

28. Anonymous says

Just made these, I used 1/2 dark brown sugar, 1/2 Stevia as I was afraid of it tasting bad because of the previous negative comments. It tastes amazing, I will try this with just Stevia next time as I now have confidence in the recipe. This will be great for keeping my sweet tooth at bay during my bikini contest prep :). Thanks for sharing :).

29. Anonymous says

We just made these today. Sorry, but they were not good. I’m a good cook and followed the recipe to a ‘T’. They didn’t rise much, were very bitter and the texture wasn’t great. One of my twins eats everything and even he said these were not good.

30. says

The appearance and texture was wonderful, but the taste was D I S G U S T I N G !
    The only change I made was to use almond milk instead of cow’s milk, (which was recommended above.) Bummer!!! I wasted 1/2 cup of expensive high quality cocoa powder and Truvia on this awful recipe. Straight to the garbage! Can’t even give it to the dog – might kill him.

31. says

Oh! I get it. I placed a comment on how disgusting these brownies were, and of course, it wasn’t approved. But now I get it… BROMA Bakery! BROMA as in spanish for JOKE!
    Sooo… Joke Bakery! Oh yeah… hardee har har… very funny guys… NOT!
    Blogging ludicrous recipes that taste like crap and laughing about us poor readers, lured in by the promise of good tasting low calorie recipes, wasting ingredients and time, just so you can have a good laugh! Lets see how long it takes me to make this go viral on FB.

32. Susie Drake says

I made these yesterday; I used dark cocoa powder, three of our packets of stevia, and a couple of tablespoons of whey powder. You have to let them cool completely (they are better the next day). I did NOT put the batter in the blender. Also, I had to cook them twice as long as the recommended time. I thought they were really good.

33. Ty Harris says

First of all, I just want to say thanks, because the person who posted this gains nothing personally that I am aware of by taking the time and trouble to share recipes on the internet. When you attempt to do something nice for perfect strangers for no personal gain that deserves respect and gratitude. Having established that I am grateful for the sharing, I must give my honest opinion that these did not taste very good to me. They tasted sour and dry. I followed instructions precisely. I tried to make them taste a little bit better by adding some sugar free chocolate syrup on top, ( 15 cals per 2 tbsp. ) and some reddi-whip fat free whipped cream ( 5 cals per 2 tbsp. ) but they were still pretty bad. In the end, I put some regular Betty Crocker chocolate frosting on there ( 150 cals per 2 tbsp. – more calories by far than the brownie itself ) to try and make this stuff edible, and it was still not very good. Not so bad that I would put it off until the 3rd or 4th day if I was stranded on a desert island, as an earlier poster claimed, but after eating 3, I didn’t really want anymore. I appreciate the effort and the sharing, but the result was not so great…

34. Anonymous says

Ok, since I am doing Trim Healthy Momma, I calculated the calories, fat and carbs using the above recipe but substituting egg whites for the egg and almond milk for the milk. I still love them and am addicted to these!!
    3/4 greek yogurt (Kirkland Brand)
    cal 105 fat 0 carbs 7.5
    1/4 almond milk
    cal 7.5 fat 0.625 carbs 0
    1/2 cocoa (Hershey brand)
    cal 80 fat 4 carbs 8
    oats 1/2 cup
    cal 150 fat 3 carbs 23
    egg whites 3tbsp = 1 egg
    cal 25 fat 0 carbs 0

TOTALS
    CALORIES 367.5 /9 = 40.83
    FAT 7.625/9 = 0.847
    CARBS 38.5 /9 = 4.27

But I don’t know about you, I NEVER eat just 1 of these at a time, so eating up to 2 of these would keep you at a FP, but if you eat more than 2 of these, it would be an E snack.(greater than 10carbs)

35. Anonymous says

Made these today with unsweetened almond milk and xylitol, everything else the same, and they are AMAZING!! Thank you for this recipe!!

36. Anonymous says

Well……… its a good idea, but I really didn’t like these. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used Splenda granulated. They don’t taste ANYTHING like a real brownie, and they are super thin. It was on the dry side, but parts of it absorbed the fat from the chocolate chips and got oily in some parts, and the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom. These brownies also tasted bitter, I’m guessing an after taste from the splenda. Maybe next time, double the recipe and use half sugar half sugar substitute and it might be better. Sorry to sound like such a critic, but I did not find these tasty at all. Sorry

37. Anonymous says

Made them twice…..horrible…has nothing to do with how long they are cooked or temp. Very bitter, and sour taste from the yogurt. YUCK!!!!

38. Anonymous says

Probably why they’re 37 calories is because that’s how many calories is in the one bite you take to realize they’re terrible

39. says

I think people are having problems because they should have apple sauce in them. I also calculated how many calories and came out with 78 so they’re not as good as we wanted to think. I’ve just taken mine out of the oven ( I found the recipe on Pinterest and it had the apple sauce addition ) I look forward to trying them.

40. Anonymous says

I had high hopes for this recipe and I followed the recipe exactly. I was disappointed. The flavor was fine – it was more bitter than sweet, which I prefer with chocolate, but the TEXTURE makes these inedible. The outside is fine – a nice, slight crust as you would expect from a good brownie, but the inside is, as some have described it here, “mousse” like. It was gooey, and not the good kind – the jello-y, gross kind. I put them back into the oven for a bit, thinking they might be undercooked, but nope. As I kept removing them and checking them, the outside got darker and harder and the interior remained disgustingly gooey. Also, as noted by others, they look NOTHING like the photo. As stated, I used all of the ingredients listed above, the correct sized pan, and mine came out much more flat, dense and not even remotely close to those pictured. There are better alternatives out there for healthy brownies – particularly raw recipes with dates or black beans as a base. I do NOT recommend these.

41. Anonymous says

if anyone’s interested these changes seemed to help:
    20g sweetener
    35g Cocoa powder
    30g chocolate chips
    ¼ tsp baking powder
    ¼ tsp baking soda
    ½ coffee powder
    ½ tsp vanilla flavouring
    ¼ tsp salt

42. Chef in a Panic... says

Disclaimer – I am a Chef, so my results may be different from others. Amazing the diferrent results in this. My wife made it, and she and the kids thought it was okay, but that was it. She actually apologized as I tried it later. I saw great potential! What I liked was the texture, so similar to a high end chocolate torte. I was doing a special wine dinner and during the preparation, I made a torte that failed twice. I was so worried, but then I remembered my wife making this recipe, so I tried it. I added the chocolate chips & did the recipe 4 times split between 3 9 inch round cake pans. It came out perfectly. Rich & chocolatey. I turned the cakes out of the pan the next day and coated them with dark chocolate ganache with brandy soaked dried cherries folded in. Cut each pan into 12 servings & served w/ a small dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream. Got a standing ovation…. Thanks for saving my bottom Broma Bakery!

43. Anonymous says

Not bad. I only had quick oats on hand and used sugar. My total came out to 80 cals each. These are more for dark chocolate lovers. Came out just like the picture.

44. Anonymous says

NO Flour of any kind? I find these to be crumbly and just don’t taste like brownies I was very disappointed

45. says

I do NOT understand all of the bad comments, WOW these were WONDERFUL! Made as described, but used the THM Sweet Blend sweetener instead of Truvia, and almond milk! Used a 9″ round cake pan, so they were thinner, but like the “chef” above that claimed it was similar to a torte, YES IT IS. I can see how this could even be high end dessert material! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

46. says

Considering the whole pan is around 360cal, I think these are very good. not AS good as a flour/sugar/butter brownie, but duh? It’s a recipe not a magic lamp. however considering i could eat this whole pan for the same calorie load as *one* square of a normal brownie, AND the actual nutritional content of this recipe is really good, for me its no contest at all.

47. says

I used 1/3 cup oat flour, 1/3 cup NuNaturals More Fiber Stevia Baking Blend (since the label suggests using 3/4 cup for 1 cup of sugar in recipes), and swapped out the milk for water. I also put 9 squares of dark chocolate on top (one for each brownie!). I couldn’t wait for them to set (hehe) so I had it while it was still gooey and hot out of the oven. They were really great! I wonder if the variability in results has to do with the brand of sweetener used? I have heard that some don’t hold up to heat very well. Also, stevia blends seem to vary widely in terms of ingredients which probably makes them less reliable in baking than plain ol’ sugar.

48. Anonymous says

Mine came out great. I used unsweetened almond milk and nectresse instead of skim milk and Truvia. I cooked them for about 12 to 13 minutes.

49. Anonymous says

Im vegan an I was wondering what I could use to substitute for the yougurt and still get the same results?

50. Anonymous says

These brownies came out disgusting. I’m sorry. I was trying to find an alternative since I didn’t have oil and this came out like a horrible mug cake. Thanks but no thanks. Tossed the whole thing in the trash.

51. Anonymous says

I live in Australia and just made these with ingredients I could find as close to the recipe as possible. unsweetened almond milk instead of skim milk, natvia as my sweetner, chobani greek yoghurt. I am well known for my crazy sweet tooth and addiction to baked goods. Can definately say these are a very good substitute! All the bad reviews must be doing something wrong or arent realising that this is a “healthier alternative”. Definately recommend trying these out if you have a major sweet tooth and are calorie counting like myself!👍thanks Broma Bakery!

52. Anonymous says

Forgot to add that with the ingredients I used they ended up being 64cal each😊 alot less than a normal brownie!

53. Anonymous says

Mine are AWESOME!! Especially for the nutrition value! I used truvia and added some Walden Farm Chocolate Syrup. I can’t wait to eat them through the week!

54. terri says

Don’t waste your time and ingredients if you’re not a fan of bitter chocolate. These are very bitter due to the cocoa. I tossed it all in the garbage.

55. Lorna says

I made them for work and didnt like them dont know what I did wrong. they had a funny after taste ! maybe to much greek yogurt.

56. Lindsay says

This must be some sort of April fools joke or something because I can not for the life of me understand how so many people thought these were good! Do not bother trying Chads suggestion of replacing the sugar for unsweetened apple sauce and almond milk instead of skim…it does not make them better, it probably made them worse actually.

• Sarah | Broma Bakery says

Hi Lindsay! Yes, I would not replace them with apple sauce at all. The biggest advice I can offer with these brownies is to undercook them. You want to take them out of the oven while they’re still slightly gooey, as the brownies continue to cook as they cool. Let me know if this helps you next time!

57. Dianne says

I used a flax egg (instead of an actual egg) to cut some calories, and they turned out alright. I also used Great Value brand zero calorie sweetener, which measures cup for cup with sugar, and that also works. Just spreading the word. I also used a little less cocoa powder, since I’m not a fan of the bitter chocolate taste (I used 6 T). The texture was a bit off, so I may not leave them in the oven for as long next time. Good recipe, though. Thanks!

• Dianne says

Also using the flax egg, unsweetened almond milk, and 6T of cocoa powder the brownies are about 41 calories each. That’s, like you mentioned above, not taking into account all of the batter you lose while transferring, mixing, etc. etc.

58. JackTailor says

Made these EXACTLY to recipe.

Wasn’t good, wasn’t bad. They were ok. If you have a craving for chocolate, you won’t after eating one of these. Initial taste is good, but the aftertaste is a bittersweet fake sugar taste.