Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Blue Diamond. All text and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help make Broma possible!
What makes cheese boards so special
Here’s a date night cheese board idea for two… or for one, because I’m not judging. But actually, this cheese board is an instant way to class up your date night in. So cozy up to your bf, gf, or bff and get a cheese-ing!
I’m the type of person who really enjoys going out, and also really enjoys staying in. And for those nights that I stay in, I love making it feel just as special as if I had gone out. I keep things cozy, but also jazz them up a bit.
Homemade cheese boards embody this duality of homey-ness and excitement. They are so classy, and with their multiple ingredients offer endless flavor combinations. And yet, you can make a world class cheese board in about 10 minutes; minimal effort required.
This Date Night Cheese Board for Two has many stars — a funky blue cheese wedge, umami-y castelvetrano olives, and prosciutto de Parma. But this biggest stars, in my opinion, are the homemade “Marcona” almonds.
Yes, people, you can make your own version of Marcona almonds at home. And it’s surprisingly easy. I started by blanching a cup of Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds, then popped off the skins (it’s weirdly therapeutic) and roasted them for 5 minutes. Et voilà.
One of my girlfriends liked the almonds so much she literally asked me if she could pay me to make a huge batch. So yeah. They’re pretty awesome.
Other cheese board ideas:
The best thing about cheese boards is that they’re completely customizable. So if you don’t like, say, olives, you can swap them out for more cheese. Or salami. Or more crackers. The possibilities are endless! Some of my favorite things to include on cheese boards are:
- Marcona almonds
- LOTS of cheese (blue cheese, Brie, cheddar, manchego — use a mixture of soft and hard cheeses for the best possible cheese board)
- Crusty bread
- Spicy mustard
If you want to switch up the cheese board ideas I’ve listed in the recipe card below but aren’t sure where to start, I recommend hitting up the cheese counter at your local grocery store and asking for their opinion. I’m sure there are dozens of cheeses you’ve never thought to try that you and your partner will love!
Date Night Cheese Board for Two
for the homemade marcona almonds
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
for the rest of the cheeseboard
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 2 oz sharp cheddar, cut into slices
- 2 oz manchego cheese, cut into slices
- 1 bunch red grapes
- handful of your favorite crackers
- 1/2 cup castelvetrano olives
- 2 oz prosciutto
- microgreens, for garnish (optional)
to make the marcona almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Pour in half of the almonds and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove quickly with a slotted spoon and allow to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining almonds.
- Use your fingers to gently pop off the almond skin from each almond. Pat almonds with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Place almonds onto prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Spread out evenly, then bake for 5-7 minutes, turning halfway. Almonds are ready when they are lightly golden brown. Allow to cool slightly. Can be stored for up to 4 weeks.
to assemble the cheeseboard
- Place cheeses on cheeseboard first. Place grapes, crackers, and olives next. Last, fill in the empty gaps with almonds and prosciutto. Top with microgreens, if using. Serve!