These chewy blondies are soft and buttery and loaded with chocolate chips. Made in just one bowl (no mixer required!) this blondie recipe is the ultimate easy treat!
The Best Chewy Blondies
Happy Wednesday, loves! Or as we call it now…day. Am I the only one who has no idea what day, month or year it is? But, who cares what day it is, as long as it involves baking and devouring these chewy chocolate chip [email protected] They’re crunchy on the edges, gooey in the middle and loaded with chocolate chips.
What are blondies?
Say hello to brownies’ cute blonde sister: blondies. Blondies, sometimes called “blonde brownies” have the same moist, chewy, fudgy brownie texture, but instead of being flavored with chocolate, they’re flavored with vanilla! Like brownies, they’re super easy to make, don’t require a mixer, and are a serious crowd pleaser!
Don’t get me wrong, brownies are the best food of all time (have you even tried our best brownies ever?!), but sometimes it’s fun to mix it up with something a little different. Plus there are still chocolate chips in these blonde brownies, so you’ll still get your chocolate fix 🙂
Ingredients for soft blondies
You’ll only need 6 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge to make these tasty blondies! We used chocolate chips here, but you can use whatever you have on hand–walnuts, butterscotch chips, candy, nutella, white chocolate, chocolate chunks…the list goes on. Scroll down for some more suggestions!
- Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
Tips for the best soft chewy blondies
This classic recipe is one of the more basic recipes you’ll make, but these three tips will ensure the softest crumb, crackled top, and chewy bite.
- Do not over mix: Under NO circumstances should you EVER over mix blondie batter. This classic blondie recipe has no frills and is super simple, so any overmixing will really show. Only mix until the batter is just mixed. This will keep the crumb tender and moist!
- Use high quality vanilla and butter: Just like the cocoa in brownies can make or break the chocolate flavor, the butter and vanilla extract is super important in blondies. Make sure you’re using high quality butter and pure vanilla extract for the best results.
- Do not over bake: Repeat after me, “An over baked blondie, is a sad, dry blondie.” The blondies should still be under baked in the middle when you take them out of the oven! They will continue to bake as the cool, leaving you with the perfectly baked, soft treat.
What should you add to blondies?
Blondies are the perfect blank canvas for all the yummy add ins and toppings! Feel free to get creative, but we have a few suggestions if you’re looking for some inspiration!
- Cinnamon Roll Blondies: Swirl them with cinnamon sugar and top with a cream cheese glaze for a fun and easy take on cinnamon rolls.
- Candy bar Blondies: Fold in leftover candy bars when you’re trying to use up some leftover candy (perfect for Valentine’s Day, Easter, and Halloween!). Simply chop up candy bars (or whatever you have on hand) and sub it out for the chocolate chips!
- Butterscotch Blondies: Swap out the chocolate chips for butterscotch or white chocolate chips for a sweet treat for all you vanilla lovers out there.
- Peanut Butter Nutella Blondies: Swirl them with peanut butter and Nutella for a hypnotizing chocolate peanut butter explosion!
- Blondie Ice Cream Sundae: Serve these blondies warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and homemade caramel sauce for the ultimate decadent treat.
Maybe mix it up this week and make blondies instead of brownies. Or if you’re feeling extra spicy make BOTH.
The Best Chewy Blondies
These chewy blondies are soft and butter and loaded with chocolate chips. Made in just one bowl this blondie recipe is the ultimate easy treat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk , room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl stir together the baking powder, salt, and flour. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together until just mixed and no clumps of flour remain. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, spreading into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the blondies are golden brown, set on the edges and have puffed up. The middle will still be undercooked, but they will continue to cook as they cool!
- Once the blondies are cool, cut into 9 squares for big blondies, or 16 squares for smaller portions and enjoy!
- Don’t overmix the batter! This will lead to a tough blondie.
- Don’t over bake the blondies! All ovens are different, so keep an eye on them and take them out when they’re still gooey in the middle!
Keywords: blondies, chocolate chip blondies, chewy blondies