I am a brownie connoisseur. I’ve loved them since I was a little girl, and will continue loving them until I am a very, very old girl. To date, I have 34 brownie recipes on the site. And I love each and every one of them like they are my children. My brownie children. And though you supposedly love all of your children equally, I do have to admit that these mocha brownies are, like, top 10% brownies.
The base is a slightly cakey mocha brownie made with lots of cocoa. I decided to go a bit lighter than a fudgy brownie to let the coffee frosting and Oreos shine. The coffee frosting may just be the best part of these heavenly squares. It’s flavorful and sweet and fluffy.
Of course, the Oreos are also pretty amazing. They add in that crunch factor that I just love. And they look awesome.
How to make these mocha brownies
The base of these mocha brownies is fairly straightforward to make. You first need to melt the butter and sugar together in the microwave. You’re looking for the mixture to bubble slightly, but not burn! Combine the melted butter and sugar with some strong coffee (you need it to be really strong so the coffee flavor shines through). Let that all cool down for a few minutes before adding in the cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour and salt, then pour into a greased 9 x 9-inch pan.
Bake the mocha brownies for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the very middle comes out mostly clean. Personally, I think under baking the brownies ever so slightly is the way to go, because it makes them super fudgy. But if you prefer more cake-like brownies, bake them for a little longer.
Let the brownies rest in the hot pan for 15 minutes once they’re out of the oven, and then transfer them to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting them. (Frosting warm baked goods is never a good idea! The frosting runs everywhere and makes a huge mess).
The coffee frosting is super easy to make—simply combine room temperature butter, powdered sugar, a tablespoon of coffee, and cocoa powder in a stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Spread that coffee goodness onto the brownies and crumble Oreos over the top. Delicious!
Hope you enjoy these mocha brownies as much as I did. Pro tip: you can even drizzle a little coffee on top of the brownie for a sort of brownie affogato!
Happy weekend 🙂Print
Mocha Brownies with coffee frosting and oreos
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon strongly brewed coffee
- 8 oreo cookies, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9″x9″ glass pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Remove from microwave, stir in sugar, and melt again for 30 seconds. You want the sugars and butter to bubble up slightly, but not burn. This amount of time should do the trick.
- Remove mixture from microwave and stir in coffee. Allow to cool slightly before whisking the cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla extract. Last, mix in flour and salt.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out mostly clean (a little batter is fine, it will turn into delicious fudgyness). Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, whip together all ingredients until light and fluffy. Frost brownies and sprinkle with crumbled oreos, then cut into 9 large squares.