If you’re trying to use up ripe bananas rotting on your counter we’re here to help! You’ll find the best easy banana recipes to spice up your classic chocolate chip banana bread!
Easy Banana Recipes
Bananas are pretty much the only perishable item that I get excited about going bad. When I see mixed greens starting to wilt, the only emotion I’m feeling is shame as I toss them in the trash. But when I see a banana starting to spot I do my happy dance. Thank god I don’t have to eat a banana…it’s banana bread time AKA the best time. We rounded up the best easy banana recipes for all you banana bread lovers out there!
How to ripen bananas for banana bread?
On the the opposite end of the spectrum, maybe you’re not looking to use up overripe bananas and are actually just craving a fat slice of browned butter banana cake or classic chocolate chip banana bread. We all know the feeling when you’re craving something specific, only to find the bananas on your counter are bright yellow (dare I even say…slightly green). Luckily there are a few ways to speed up the ripening process if you simply have to have banana bread:
- Need them immediately? Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put the unpeeled bananas on the prepared tray and bake for 15 minutes or until the bananas are black. Let them cool completely before slicing open and using the bananas as instructed in your recipe!
- Planning ahead for banana bread in a few days? Place the bananas in a paper bag and roll down the top. If you have some other ripe bananas, another fruit (apples, pears, etc.), or even an avocado, this will help to expedite the ripening process!
Do you really need ripe bananas for banana bread?
This is a question we get a lot. “Can I sub out something for the bananas?” “Can I use bananas that aren’t ripe?” Sadly the answer to all of these is no. Subbing out bananas in banana bread would be like making brownies without chocolate. Sure, you could sub out the cocoa powder for flour, but they certainly won’t taste like brownies anymore. Luckily you can speed up the ripening process (see above), but if you don’t have bananas, the best thing to do would be to make something else!
Unique Banana Bread Recipe Ideas
Now that we’ve weeded out the banana-less or have you on your way to ripening bananas, here are 13 delicious and easy banana recipes to make with all those ripe bananas!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – Classics are a classic for a reason, and this tender and moist chocolate chip banana bread is no exception. It’s the perfect recipe for using up ripe bananas and a serious crowd pleaser.
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread – Do you like carrot cake? Do you like banana bread? The answer to both of these should obviously be yes. More is more.
- Nutella Swirled Banana Bread – Nutella and banana bread just feel right together, don’t they? This mega soft banana bread with a thick ribbon of Nutella in the middle AND on top is one of the most popular recipes on the site and one of our favorite easy banana recipes of all time.
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread – Snickerdoodles and banana bread had a baby. They named him Snickerdoodle Banana Bread. Very creative. This snickerdoodle banana bread is soft and buttery with a cinnamon sugar swirl and a crunchy cinnamon sugar exterior. I know…it’s insane.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread – I feel like I don’t even need to sell this one. It’s a rich, chocolatey banana bread recipe swirled with peanut butter. Make it. Now.
- Bourbon Fig Banana Bread – This banana bread is seriously gourmet. Brown butter banana bread swirled with a boozy, sweet, fig layer that will leave everyone wanting more.
7. Chai Streusel Banana Bread – This chai streusel banana bread tastes like a hug. It’s packed full of warm chai spice and topped with the most addicting buttery streusel.
8. Bourbon Cherry Banana Bread – Boozy banana bread is my kind of banana bread. This unique loaf is studded with bourbon soaked cherries for a fun surprise in every bite.
9. Lavender Infused Banana Bread – This banana bread recipe is fancy. This is the gourmet loaf you make for tea time. It’s light, tender and delightfully floral!
10. Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Muffins – You know when you want to eat a muffin, but also want to be, like, kind of healthy? These are the muffins for you. They’re gluten free AND refined sugar free, and the best part…you would never know! Because these are low on added sugar, the riper your bananas are with natural sugar, the better!
11. Gluten Free Blueberry Banana Muffins – Why choose between blueberry muffins and banana bread muffins when you can have both? These gluten free blueberry banana bread muffins are full of fresh blueberries!
12. Brown Butter Banana Sheet Cake – Okay so this isn’t a bread, but it’s seriously delicious. This brown butter banana sheet cake is loaded with mini chocolate chips and topped with a decadent cream cheese icing.
13. Banana Nutella Muffins – These light and fluffy muffins are one of the easiest and prettier banana recipes you’ll find. Simply make banana bread muffins and swirl with a heaping tablespoon of nutella for the ultimate breakfast treat. Nutella not your thing? Swap it out for peanut butter or preserves!
Alright, bbs. I’ll leave this with an informational slang term you’ve probably seen us use around the blog: “bb.” We usually use this as an affectionate term of endearment for YOU, as in babies, lovebugs, friends…But today we use it as short for banana bread.
Have a fantastic day–we hope you bbs enjoy these bbs 🙂