Last month, I went on one of the best trips of my life with Vibe Israel, a non-profit whose mission is to strengthen Israel’s brand in the world. I, along with three other influencers, was invited on a week-long tour of Israel, centered around my favorite subject: food.

It was truly an experience like no other. From the markets of Jerusalem to the world-class restaurants of Tel Aviv, I witnessed kindness and hospitality that had me falling in love with Israel and its people.

This is the first of a 3-part series I am writing on Israel. I will be talking more about my personal experience in Israel in a few weeks, but for now I loved the idea of sharing the absolutely incredible food I ate during my week abroad.

Whether you find yourself in Israel for a few days and need a dinner recommendation or a month and want to hit all the best spots, there is something here for every palate. L’chayim

Get breakfast at:

Cafe 65

Start the most important meal of the day at this stunning brunch spot, known as one of the best in Tel Aviv. From the richest, chocolaty-est Babka to fresh pressed juices, everything at Cafe 65 is prepared to perfection. Pro tip: the Green Shakshuka is a must.

Eat authentic Israeli pastries at:

Albert Confectionery

Located in the heart of Tel Aviv’s Florentin district, Albert Confectionery is a tiny, no-frills pastry shop known for the best marzipan in the country. Started by a Greek immigrant, this family-owned shop prepares scrumptious traditional baked goods passed down for generations. Fun fact: each almond is individually peeled by hand to create the most creamy and delicious marzipan.

Bring all your friends to feast at:

Atalya Ein Kerem

One of my favorite experiences in Israel was eating at the home of Atalya, a larger than life Israeli chef living in the hills of Jerusalem. Atalya welcomes private groups into her home for unique meals that practically defy the laws of tastebuds; her food is masterfully prepared and bursting with an almost magical flavor that tastes like more than the sum of its parts. Atalya also hosts workshops in her home where you make some of her best dishes, and then, of course, eat them!

Foodie's Guide To IsraelFoodie's Guide To Israel        Foodie's Guide To IsraelFoodie's Guide To IsraelFoodie's Guide To Israel        Foodie's Guide To Israel

Feast by the ocean at:

Manta Ray Restaurant

If you’re into sipping cappuccinos on a gorgeous deck while looking out at the ocean, Manta Ray is for you. This spot is literally feet from the sandy beaches of Tel Aviv. The food is artfully prepared, both visually and technically. For breakfast be sure to try the Poached Eggs and Croque Monsieur, while for lunch or dinner get a sampling of their extensive mezze (selection of dips and spreads common in the Middle East).

Spend the afternoon wandering around:

Machane Yehuda Market

One of the best ways to sample true Israeli cuisine is by wandering the Machane Yehuda Market in Jerusalem. It’s filled with local vendors selling meats, cheeses, pastries, produce, nuts, seeds, and spices. Pro tip: don’t miss the Uzi Eli juice stand, owned by a third-generation Yemenite healer and stocked with fresh pressed juices and plant-based body care and cosmetic products.

Don’t miss a meal at:

Menza

Menza is one of those restaurants where if you lived in the neighborhood you’d eat there every week. Chef Shlomi Attoun serves contemporary cuisine in a relaxed environment that lets the food shine. The Mediterranean Shrimp was bright and unique, and the Beef Carpaccio was other-worldly. Real talk: the carpaccio was one of the top 3 dishes I had in Israel.

Sample Israeli street food around:

The Muslim Quarter

Tucked into the narrow alleyways of Old Jerusalem is shop after shop of authentic Palestinian and Israeli street food. From freshly fried falafel to plates of warm hummus to life-changing Jerusalem Bagels, the streets of Old Jerusalem are sure to satisfy a rumbling stomach. Pro tip: Abu Shukri has killer hoomus.

Foodie's Guide To IsraelFoodie's Guide To Israel        Foodie's Guide To IsraelFoodie's Guide To Israel

Satisfy your American sweet tooth at:

Sweet Box

If you’re craving classic American baked goods, look no further than Sweet Box in Tel Aviv. This tiny shop on an unassuming side street has the most happy-making decor, and is filled with chocolate chip cookies, warm sticky buns, and freshly baked breads. Seriously, you’ll have a hard time leaving with just one treat.

Get dinner and drinks (and more drinks) at:

Machneyuda Restaurant

Machneyuda is without a doubt the most fun restaurant I’ve ever been to. It’s equal part gastronomy and party. And while you may be thinking but is the food really that good? The answer is a resounding YES. Celeb chef Asaf Granit combines traditional Jerusalem flavors with upscale dishes that, as we unanimously proclaimed, are worthy of a Michelin star. Pro tip: the menu changes nightly, but be sure to ask for the Dessert Jungle at the end of your meal. The chefs wrap your table in foil, then splatter it with crème anglaise, fudge, fruit puree, and five different desserts. It. Is. Nuts.

Grab some groceries (and a smoothie!) at:

Farma Cultura

Another one of my favorite experiences in Israel (so much so that it’s getting its own post) was at Farma Cultura. Located on the outskirts of Tel Aviv, this Pinterest-worthy farm is owned by the most wonderful young Israeli couple. The storefront of Farma Cultura sells produce grown right out back, and they specialize in the most delicious produce-based smoothies (I adapted their green smoothie recipe in this post). They also host events on their stunning patio, making it perfect for a group.

That’s it, guys! So like have you booked your flight yet? 😉

Vibe Israel invited me to a week in Israel, though I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the companies and brands that make Broma possible!

Sarah, this trip looks like it was the best! your photos are gorgeous. Israel hasn’t really been on my radar as a vacation spot, but this post has made me put it on my list of must visits. Gorgeous!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you so much Debs! It was a truly memorable trip, and after visiting, I can’t recommend Israel enough! Tel Aviv would be perfect for a summer vacation 🙂

Oh my! i feel like I’ve been there with you. Such a wonderful post and the photos are amazing. Goes hand in hand with our Arm Chair travel post today…just incase we can’t get there right away! Thanks for sharing-Laurel

Sarah | Broma Bakery

That’s so sweet of you! Thanks so much Laurel.

Beautiful photos!! It wold be nice to know what some of those dishes are….

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much. I describe a lot of them within the descriptions, but if you have specific questions let me know and I can answer 🙂

Visiting israel was one of the best places I’ve ever visited! Those dishes look delicious and the photos were just beautiful. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Will you be recreating some of these dishes?

Sarah | Broma Bakery

I’m so, so glad to hear that Ruthie. I completely agree! And you guessed it. I will be recreating some of the dishes in posts in the future 🙂 Stay tuned!

I love seeing your photos of this trip here and on Instagram…it looked magical!!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you sweetheart! It absolutely was. So recommend a trip there if you get a chance!

Some of the best food I’ve ever eaten in my life was when I was in Isreal in November. Machneyuda is such a magical restaurant and I’m so glad you got to eat there, we had dessert and it was a production unlike anything I have ever experienced. I can’t wait to go back and read more about your trip!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Oh my goodness, you’ve experienced the dessert jungle too?! It was just the coolest thing ever. Thank you so much for commenting, and I’m so glad you enjoyed your experience there!

My parents are in Israel right now! I told them to visit Cafe 65, and I think they had lunch at Manta too – forwarding this to them 🙂

Oh yessss! Both are such fantastic places. Let me know if they go! <3

I have been living in Israel all my life and yet learnt something too …
i am just on my way to check sweet box and friday morning Cafe 65, funny, they both are just around the corner yet i never paid them a visit … awesome.
and Farma Cultura …in Bney-Tzion next door to my parents wow
thanks for the post 🙂

Sarah | Broma Bakery

I am so, so happy to hear that! The cookies at Sweet Box were fantastic. And you really can’t go wrong with anything from Cafe 65. And if Farma Cultura is near your parents, then you HAVE to visit! It’s like stepping into another world. Thank you!

Love your post, love you! Can wait to read the next ones!!

Miss you SO much! Thank you so, so much for creating such an amazing trip. <3

Sarah, your photos are amazing!!! Take me back.

Let’s all go together <3

Sarah! this post is AMAZIng. I’d always wanted to go to Isreal for religious reasons but now I am all the more excited to visit! I have definitely moved Israel to my next travel destination. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you Daniela! I had wanted to go to Israel for years, but I didn’t have religious reasons, so I felt like I wouldn’t belong. But going on a secular trip to Israel showed me just how much of the country there is to explore; It’s such a rich and diverse culture, and whether you go for religious reasons or not, or a combination of both, there is something for everyone. If you go I’m more than happy to give more recs 🙂

SO MANY CHOICES!!! STREET FOOD OR Manta Ray ARE SERIOUSLY SPEAKING TO ME THOUGH 🙂

Ugh, so hard to decide. I pick both 😉

There’s literally not one thing in these pictures I’m not dying to eat right now. gorgeous recap. Hoping I can visit some day soon!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Oh my goodness, thank you Gina! So appreciate it. It was an absolutely amazing trip!

This is so absolutely amazing, your photos are gorgeous and this post makes me want to go to Israel right this very second!

Thank you Phi! I want to go back again, so I can totally relate 🙂

Stunning photos!!! wow, such a cool trip! I’ve always wanted to visit Israel!!! love this post!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you Alice! It was such a fantastic experience. Highly recommend!

Love this post Sarah! Such great info. Looks like I need to add to my bucket list!

100% you do!

Sarah, what a great experience and thanks for taking us on the journey. I love the pictures and I feel like I was right there with you. Israel is definitely on my bucket list. (Unrelated, what is your travel camera + lens setup?)

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thanks girlfriend! I actually brought along my big dSLR on this trip, along with a 24-70mm lens. The lens is so versatile, and I actually didn’t find it too hard to lug around with me!

Oh my gosh! All this food!! Look so good, some of my favorite flavors!

This looks incredible!!! Oh my gosh, I’m so jealous. and the view at Manta ray… gorgeous!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Right? Such a perfect place to sit for the afternoon.